[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Desktop Dungeons beta is here!

The Desktop Dungeons beta is here!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Desktop Dungeons beta is here!

Postby Azeke on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 am

These clickable "icons" within buttons are extremely confusing.
I remember that i couldn't get past them in E3 alpha as well. I just couldn't figure out what to do, so i never actually played before.

I kept randomly clicking everywhere, but still couldn't get "Play" button to activate.

This time, half-consciously, i still have managed to kinda-sorta understand how it is working after all but anyway this is a very bad UI right there.
Azeke

Postby starflier on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:45 am

starflier

Postby diarrheaBot on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 am

#1 the small fonts are unreadable on my screen (for example when explaining item abilities), just shows up as dots
#2 interface in the town is totally non-intuitive. how many upgrades can i do in my buildings? i dunno, i just keep clicking. not sure how to pick who to end up adventuring where. I'm sure I'll learn soon, but compared to the original desktop dungeons it feels like a lot of added complexity for no good reason...

To be honest im a bit disapointed by what is in the beta. The interface in town needs to be totally changed in the final version, and it should be made to feel like it actually has something to do with whats going on while adventuring.
diarrheaBot

Postby cicobuff on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 am

If I had known that it'll be on a browser based player only, I would not have paid for the beta.....
cicobuff

Postby Snowy on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:09 am

Just wanted to second Azeke up there. The clickable icons are really confusing--like, they make sense after a while, but they're not intuitive at all.
Snowy

Postby Emojk on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:27 am

So... No keyboard-controlled movement? I liked it quite a lot :|
Emojk

Postby michal.lewtak on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 am

Spoiler regarding IMAWAL.
I see what you did with IMAWAL, now. You've opened a new department in my head where those hard-working brain cells work day and night to figure out a generic formula that calculates whether petrifying x to kill y while I'm level j and I'm a fighter or not (k), is a good idea and exacly how much more xp it will give me compared to killing them both. The fighter really complicates everything with his +1 xp per proper kill. Also, gotta take into account whether I'll be able to walk around the wall segment or not and if I'm willing to take the risk... Sometimes in the alpha I really really needed just a little more xp for a certain kill to be able to win a session, so this glyph is now officially AWESOME!
michal.lewtak

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:23 pm

@Michal

I know! Holy crap on the new mental arithmetic. To offset this, perhaps we can have an XP value labeled on mosters?
PeaceChaser

Postby redic on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 pm

The Beta is quite nice so far but im really missing some good music. Will there ever be music in this game?
redic

Postby michal.lewtak on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:47 pm

michal.lewtak

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons