[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Assorted random thoughts, non-urgent

Assorted random thoughts, non-urgent

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Assorted random thoughts, non-urgent

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Ok, list updated, probably will be added to.

If I've forgotten anything, or skipped someone over, let me know :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Mister Bile on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:39 am

Mister Bile

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:34 am

It's more complicated than that. People are comparing the Poisoned Dagger to the Poison boon, which is broken by default. Poison dagger lets you have most of the benefits of a "free" level up heal per monster, or "one phys hit for free + a schadenfraude". You unload all your stuff, then hit the guy, then go heal right up.

That is a really, really, powerfull effect, and I find that grabbing an early poisoned dagger makes Gaan'Telet infinitely easier (and whatever makes Gaan'Telet easier is rather powerful).

What the alternative provides for 50 easily acessible piety is a "level up heal PER HIT". It means that as long as you have exploration you get an otherwise resource free Bloodswell + Schadenfraude. Now, mid fight level ups are a dedicated boss fighting technique in their own right, and getting one per monster is really good. Getting one every time you want it is beyond broken.

But we are comparing the dagger to what is essentially a hack, so it's meh. And since the hack was in place for a long time, stuff was balanced to account for it.

Comparing it to the assasins poison is another pair of shoes entirely, since it's a class feature, plus it costs more inventory space and quite a bit of mana (which reduces the max damage of your "free level heal" unless you're a capped out resistance fighter). It's still more powerfull than the dagger, but I still use it very, very rarely compared to the TT boon.
Last edited by Lujo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:08 am

Mr Bile, you're a genious. You just hleped me figure out why I never got into mid-fight level up tactics. This deserves it's own thread :)
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons