[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Really Big Sword

Really Big Sword

All things Desktop Dungeons

Really Big Sword

Postby TheJohns on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:58 am

I am certain that everyone unanimously agrees that this is the absolute worst item in the game right now. The piercing is situational at best, but the fact it makes you slowed with no way to get around it makes this item virtually unusable.

Obviously, something needs to be done about this item, but there are multiple solutions to this.

- Remove the slow, nerf piercing
This is probably the easiest, basic solution. It would make the item usable, but I'm not sure how useful it would be with lower piercing.
- Change how piercing works
The piercing only really makes this item useful against Blobs, higher level Wraiths, and not much else. Against everything else, it just makes things harder for you. Maybe allow piercing to go into the negatives? Or just give it more damage?
- Let First Strike negate the slow
A possible solution. Would make Rogues really good with it, and they're already a strong class. Kinda useful for Assassins too, I guess. Problem is for every other class, unless you find a GETINDARE or Tikki Tooki, it's just gonna be as crappy as it is now.
- Allow it to be "sheathed"
This is an idea I had. If the RBS could be toggled on an off, you wouldn't have to suffer the slowing effect for the entire dungeon. You could take it out for those certain monsters with physical resistance, and for the rest you could choose not to use it. Now you won't be threatened by those popcorn monsters.

These are just some ideas I have, but right now RBS is just a waste of a Blacksmith slot.
TheJohns

Re: Really Big Sword

Postby Blovski on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:18 am

Worst item in the game is maybe a bit much, though it still compares very unfavourably with prepping Binlor for stone-hearting resistance down. Platemail can mitigate some of the popcorn problems - it still depends a lot on what enemies you have sticking around (so, on Slime Pit, for instance, it's still borderline useless even for classes that theoretically ought take it).

Toggling would make it silly powerful. I'd prefer to give some sort of other bonus (say +10% attack and/or +2 base damage or something like that) while you keep it around - it needs to be more potent to justify the drawback, which is cool and interesting but *very* harsh for an item with such specific functionality, and the big slot space/dragging round.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm with Blovski. Definitely not the worst item in the game, but it's fairly bad. Perhaps a +4-5 base on top of that?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Actually, now that stone heart only lowers resist for monsters you can see.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:40 pm

True, true... that's going to have a big impact on how it's used. Gotta find the boss early or you're kinda screwed.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Agreed. Hmm... Binlor clearly isn't 100% fixed for magic resist stackers (just got my Paladin Namtar win, Gorgon is the only class left!), but I love the new PISORF and Stone Soup. Combined with a Crystal Ball, we could have some pretty strong Wizard (or maybe even Transmuter?) PISORF builds.

The Avatar

Postby booooooze on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Worst item in the game? Nah. It's the third best item in the blacksmith shop. That doesn't mean I use it much, but, as mentioned above, with platemail it has become vastly more useful.
booooooze

Postby fall_ark on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:27 am

fall_ark

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:12 am

Agreed; The 3 for 4 (or really 5 for 4) is incredible.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons