Vicious Gaan'Telet Revisited

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vicious Gaan'Telet Revisited

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Nice run! Actually, quite a few things went perfectly. Tri-Sword and gloves of Midas are both INCREDIBLE for this, also, you got Taurog and Drac off the bat.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 am

It's true, although I do consider the easily acessible piety farm in mysterea to be the luckiest thing. When you account for all the stuff I didn't find or use, it's not so lucky at all. The run with the walled off Sand Troll, for example had me at max res, this was "only" 55, and a HALPMEH to go with this sort of silly stompage would've been brutal. (2 Hits for 5 mana, wheyt wut?)

But yeah, Crusader + Gaan'Telet = obscenity.

Although the reason I'm insisting that the run wasn't nearly as perfect as it could be is for math purposes. This thing demolished Gaan'Telet (except the wraith floor) in terms of raw damage output with no really fancy stuff (god juggling antics notwithstanding, and in a non-endurance run I wouldn' need so many). And the strat with this much damage output was sort of bare-bones suboptimal, and didn't use other abov-the curve stuff from the other run which had people questioning luck/necessity/crutch/scumming issues.

But it could've incorporated any of it easily (barring inventory issues, but that wasn't so much of a problem, really). And it would've been even sillier.

EDIT: Also note that since LEMISI regains some mana, TT poison can to a certain degree be replaced with the APHEELSICK glyph for the megaspike. Magic resistance stopping it IS a problem, though. I've done this often enough in other places, god knows.

EDIT2: And about the Trisword - well I know people like it, and being human helps it and all, but in thruth, I'd be happier with Martyr Wraps (Alch scroll is horrifying with %Res as well). Martyr wraps would've saved me gold, let me get more use out of firebally, and since I didn't have BYCEPPS it would've probably added up to more damage than the Tri Sword in the end fight. Although, yes, it's highly debatable.

EDIT3: The altar comment is spot on, though, except I didn't really use the altars untill I was 3 floors in, and there are 2 Taurog altars, so again, it's a bit moot. Finding Earthmother in time was a big deal, though.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:33 am

Also, since I'll be vacationing from friday onwards, I probably won't be putting up any more videos for a while. Maybe I will, it depends on stuff which I can't forsee. In any case I'm pondering a Fighter run - a bit of a challenge after this unholy stomp.

However, I still don't have the lifesteal dagger unlocked and I'm sick of looking at the Bloodmage silver dungeon (I must've tried 20 times). And I whish I had that in there, really, really, really. I also haven't unlocked the Namtar's ward or the Symbol of Rage and have no clue what they do these days. And a fighter run would take heavy consideration of what can and can't be done.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Namtar gives you a death protection every level, including the first one. The symbol gives 9% resists, and charges 10% after every kill (max 100). You can click it to transfer the percent from the symbol to your attack bonus.

I have to say, a Fighter is definitely possible.

One more thing, Platemail was also an incredibly lucky find. It was the only reason you could take so many shots from the weaker dudes (in the lower levels) and it's huge vs Horratio!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah, the platemail WAS awesome :D

I just remembered it at work and thought - darn, that was a massive stroke of luck right there.

Howeverz, I just figured a rather simple way of putting the "why resists need checks and balances" postulate:

If you have 50% relevant resists, and gain 25% more, how much does your damage per healthpool icrease?

The answer: It becomes double of what it was.

And the fighter is deffinitely possible, but I'm wondering how heavy a focus I should put on all the level-ups, and how much on %res. Have to find every possible way to exploit the XP perks. If I had a way to get GG right away, I could probably stomp pretty hard with an enlightened Elven fighter (w Martyr Wraps).
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 am

Ok, I taped a Monk run - just the end fight, with some room to comment upon stuff. It's... special. I'll tape my commentating later today and upload it :)
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 am

I don't think anyone here disagrees that resistances need checks. The question is, and has always been, what measure are needed and which ones aren't. We've been discussing the asymptotic nature of resistance utility since before the Dragonshield even existed. It's like we were all arguing about the efficacy of gun control laws and someone else shows up and helpfully informs us that gun murders are bad.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 am

True, I've tried to do a commentary on the vid for 3 times in a row and it always devolved into me speechlesly repeating - "dear god, just look at this!" in various phrases and tones of voice. And for the exact reasons you've stated I don't want that.

I'll do a proper commentary focusing on 2 things - a) the fact that Monk doesn't have 50% magic resistance can simply not be considered a flaw b) the fact that he has 50% phys completely changes the way you look at gods c) Taurog, the way Unstoppable Fury works now removes the balancing downsides that he does have too smoothly.

Also, to have a short video of exactly how gruesome gun murders really are. So further discussions on that topic can be avoided with a "look here" and a link. And I was gonna do a Monk run for you tube anyway at some point, guess it might be the right time.
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons