Vicious Gaan'Telet Revisited

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vicious Gaan'Telet Revisited

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 am

Ok, got premiere pro going, let's see if I can just fiddle with knobs and compress this stuff.

also, anyone interested should probably check the ost on the previous page.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 am

Ah, see, I wasn't thinking about technicalities like gigs and stuff ... I was just musing over how your video could be presented in a different way.

It's just the same sort of thoughts that we've been putting into our own promo material. For a while, now, we've been thinking of good ways to present DD in video form (but more as a trailer, not an exhaustive Let's Play). Unfortunately, DD gameplay doesn't lend itself well to a video performance -- it is FAR better suited to still picture ads because it's generally not an "explosively animated" game (isolated incidents such as boss kills and altar finds look pretty cool, but don't really tell the player what DD is ABOUT). So our ideas have been efforts to creatively work around this weakness and remain informative without being generic. Et cetera et cetera.

If one of your problems is the way your voice is presented, can you marginalise the influence of voice input in some way, or give it an interesting spin? Extra Credits (http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits/) just pitch-shifts, it's novel and probably less self-consciousness inducing. :P

Idunno, random braining here.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 am

Ohhhh, I love Extra Credits! The escapist really lost huge there.

And you're right about the turn based nature not lending itself well to trailers, I'll probably have to edit out long periods of standing about and going "hmmmm".

If it turns out I can compress videos well enough, I'll try something with my Ivan the Terrible impression, just to get a smaller video done and edited for practice. I'm not so much concerned with hearing the way I sound, when I think about it, but the general reaction of Americans to Slavic accents has so far been really defeating. I've had problems in the HoN world where people would turn in game VOIP off the second I oppened my mouth with "STFU russian, learn human language."

And I'm not even Russian.

Anyway, I'll be trying different stuff out, see how it goes.

Also, I seem to lack the "omfg!" factor upon discovering stuff that makes the fun "Let's Plays" fun. I'm too naturaly pragmatic, need to work on my flaberghastedness.
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 am

Ok, I've compressed a 5 min segment of a run from 4 gigs to 70 megs, which should do fine. Still need to fiddle with effects to up the quality a bit, but at least it's doable, and I can circumvent that technical detail.

I also managed to turn my voice a bit nasal rather than gutthural, and the only thing that needs to go is the muttering. I'll probably edit some of that out :)
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 am

Yeah, that's the internet for ya. :P But hey, at least I don't think South Africans give a crap what you sound like (well, except if you're Australian. I LOVE teasing my Australian friends). Maybe even play it up!

Sometimes it's quite funny watching accents get butchered on television. CSI recently tried their hand at some SA colloquialisms with hilarious results. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TEE11lGsuM

Though in retrospect, that's actually slightly less disturbing than this *actual* South African video. Behold one of our less-esteemed cultural examples! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REeg4LW14Sk&noredirect=1

Tina Fey, at least, understands that it's not a trivial imitation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcBOrMbc ... re=related

Oh crap, I've gone on a massive tangent. Back to work.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:09 pm

O.O - the guy selling the nightclub. He'd fit right in the Balkans. He practicaly sounds like one of our guys who's parents emigrated to Australia (common occurence - it's about as far away from the Balkans as you can get). Hey, he might be one of our guys who's parents emigrated to South Africa. Tangent over.

I'm working on this, although having premirere pro and desktop dungeons running is giving my machine problems. Rendering takes an hour and a half, which means I'd need two days for a playthrough or something. Or two machines, hmmm... I'll find a way :)
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:58 pm

All right! I can do it as soon as Horatio loses the mana burn!

Or rather, on monday or tuesday. And I'll tape it first and then comment on it, that way it saves space while I tape, and I save my concentration :)

I just taped the sloppiest Gaan'Telet run ever, and putting that up would be silly. I didn't even get to the bug, I gave up after the millionth mistake (was still gonna be able to do it up untill that point). I completly needlesly angered mysterea in the middle of floor 8 -.-' Anyway, there'll be a let's play, at least a select audience one first, in the near future :)
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:50 pm

I've just had an Elven Bloodmage run end in a Unity Crash which I coul've avoided had I been more rational with my conversions (the way I did it increesed my floor hopping a lot). The run went smoother overall except for hitting a snag at lvl9 blobs which caused me to start floor-hopping looking for resources.

I also ended up joining GG for the restorations which allowed 2 80 damage fireballs (and a whurlgarble hit) per, but I had to desecrate TT altar to lose the poison. Interesting.

However, going for GG ment I had to do a lot of floor hopping to clean up all the Blood Pools for Drac Piety (and stacking corrosion on Horatio). GG would've thrown a fit if I'd done that while worshiing him. And I also had no lifesteal, important to note.

Had Horatio down to 7 or so hits when it crashed, and enough desecration / conversion left to do it, I think.

I also made a mistake in not timing the EM desecration with Burn Salve usage.

Whats the exact desecration "decay", does anyone know?
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:31 pm

I've been cranking Vicious Tower runs this weekend and there's definitely a memory leak of some sort going on, probably graphical, when we switch dungeons via stairs. It's definitely not a huge leak (pretty minimal actually, I had to do a lot of analysis just to notice the thing) so it'll only impact Unity's memory limitations on a dungeon that has a ton of grid switching - so basically the Tower is the perfect place to find it ;)

I'll be dissecting the actual leak next week. I really hope I can figure out what it is in a reasonable timeframe... Going to have to pull out the ancient tools of hackery to do so though.

Also, lost a really promising Transmuter run because I converted the Orb of Lusory instead of smashing it. Proof that even we don't remember everything you can do in this friggin game.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Very nice! I hope that damned bug gets stomped out, I hope it didn't take too much of your time :oops: And the Soul Orb has that "pay attention or get thoroughly screwed" moment, I bet it happened to a lot of people. You could even make it a feature, just to avoid such screwups? Low CP output but it converts to do it's thing?

Also I think Transmuter would be my second choice for doing VICIOUS Gaan'Telet, on account of how absurd I could get and Elf Transmuter to be.

AND:

One more win! (No screenshot of dead Horatio due to my clumsines). It crashed when I exited!

Best run ever, and a very, very interesting one. ELF Bloodmage, with Witchalok Pendant (awesome, awesome item) and an eventual Mage Plate. No Whurgarble, no BYCEPSS, no Piercing Wand, Everything else standard, but the funny thing is I had about 20 bloodpools left I didn't dare reach not to tempt the bug (and it worked, it crashed afterwards), and 2 more convertible glyphs, plenty of piety and altars, and my 30+ mana pool could've squeezed tons of damage from converting to GG.

The enourmously funny bit was that I actually worshipped Binlor this time. No boons, but I got an extra Glyph for Refreshment, props to blovski (I think) :lol: Found him on the first floor and said why not, used a lot of endiswall at opportune times topside, and just picked up the extra endiswall. If Binlor had any walls on his level at all I'd deffinitely work him into my routine just to pick up the "might on wall destruction" and save the Bombs for the boss fight to take down Horatios resists. This way he was just a piety farm to enable...

Joining GG on the SECOND floor :lol: as a bloodmage, no less. I picked up Humility, got 2 levels killing the Wraiths, converted the Miner Bombs and the endiwall which was clogging my inventory and joined up with binlor again before finding TT.

I ended up stupidly powerfull by the end, and no Sand Troll level ment I got to Horatio with enough resources to kill him twice over, most likely. I even used LEMISI with BLOOTOPOWA to get some extra mana while level-hopping and it worked even though mystic balance made LEMISI cost 4.

Anyway, an elven bloodmage can whipe the floor with Gaan'Telet (don't prep patches though, and do prep Martyr Wraps).
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons