Sassy Mutations

All things Desktop Dungeons

Sassy Mutations

Postby GoatBot on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 am

Discussion - Sassy Mutations
GoatBot

Re: Sassy Mutations

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Good changes. Lujo is going to be happy.

Now I just need to figure out the stats of the new Transmuter.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm

HALPMEH changed to 4 health per level, costs 5 mana.
Paladin gets 1 extra health per level when casting HALPMEH.

Good changes; nice that HALPMEH will no longer be negatively affected by mystic balance.

Cursed Oasis made harder.

Glad to see these patch notes are laying out the specific details in an open and transparent manner.

Assassin changed. Removed corrosion from APHEELSIK, added 20% bonus damage vs poisoned monsters, starts with -20% bonus damage.

Hmmm... without having played it I can't say for sure, but I think you just entrenched human and elf assassin more strongly than ever. Human Assassins are better positions to overcome this penalty, while elves are better positioned to capitalize on the bonus. This is a total death knell to the dwarf assassin, which was always a borderline novelty.

BLUDTUPOWA health loss not applied while cursed

Um... okay... so anyone who wants to use B2P wants to be cursed all the time (characters with resistances or damage reduction tend to value health more highly than mana, and convert B2P on sight, so this tradeoff isn't a consideration to begin with).

Will comment on new Transmuter later.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 pm

New Transmuter is very odd

-Starts with LEMISI
-Using a glyph gives him 3 conversion points
-Hitting the conversion threshold drains your mana and gives you (temporary) base damage
gjaustin

Postby Abraxas on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Very nice puzzle pack once again. The last puzzle had me thinking for quite a while until it occurred to me that counter fireball attacks go second in order, regardless of level.

Also, the second puzzle seems to be broken. It can be beaten only taking a single magic boon and not using wonafyt at all.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby fall_ark on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Removed corrosion from APHEELSIK, added 20% bonus damage vs poisoned monsters, starts with -20% bonus damage.

That's quite a nerf. Now Assassins are inferior to other classes with his own Glyph. Not that he doesn't need a nerf, but still....
I'd even say that keeping corrosion while give him a straight attack penalty would work better.

Transmuter:
DUNGEON LORE: Starts with LEMMESI glyph.
INNER MASTERY(was INNER FOCUS in game): 3 conversion points for every glyph casting.
SPIRIT SWORD: Reaching Conversion threshold drains your mana but provides temporary Base Damage (seems to be 2 * Max Mana - 7)

Interesting. Will test more.
One thing though: Normally he only has the INNER FOCUS icon on his portrait, making SPIRIT SWORD confusing.
fall_ark

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm

The last puzzle had me thinking for quite a while until it occurred to me that counter fireball attacks go second in order, regardless of level.

That explains it. You're 1 MP short of WEYTWUT for a first-strike kill after converting BURNDAYRAZ, and I was wondering what I was missing.
Darvin

Postby fall_ark on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:55 pm

SPIRIT SWORD acts exactly as a Strength Potion - it increases your base damage by 5 + your remaining mana and stacks.
Let's see how the damage spike shenanigans goes...I got about 110 bonus damage as a 1 lvl Elf Transmuter in a quick test.
fall_ark

Postby Nandrew on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Darvin wrote:That explains it. You're 1 MP short of WEYTWUT for a first-strike kill after converting BURNDAYRAZ, and I was wondering what I was missing.

Hehe, yeah. Little stealth tutorial on an effect which isn't common enough for people to fully understand in normal play, I reckon.

fall_ark wrote:SPIRIT SWORD acts exactly as a Strength Potion - it increases your base damage by 5 + your remaining mana and stacks.
Let's see how the damage spike shenanigans goes...I got about 110 bonus damage as a 1 lvl Elf Transmuter in a quick test.

Haha, oh wow! Yeah, there could be some danger involved with the spikes. Or not. Will have to see how this one plays out. Hit this character, people!

Darvin wrote:
Cursed Oasis made harder.

Glad to see these patch notes are laying out the specific details in an open and transparent manner.

Pfft, there's been enough changes in the Oasis to make a broad note of its difficulty more appropriate than individual features. It's a very young map and last week's offering could easily be considered a very rough draft.

As for the Assassin ... well, note that the change wasn't oriented around altering the favoured races, it was just about bringing the character more in line. Our hopes are pinned on the Transmuter broadening a little more (may have as many as *gasp* TWO whole races who synergise with 'im! ;) )
Nandrew

Postby Fran on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Doesn't he synergise with elf, gnome and goblin?
As the goblin transmuter ignores the manadrain when he levels up per conversion and gets the most out of it...
Lets see...
LEMMESI costs 2 mana... you get 3 Conversion... goblin needs 85... 85/3 < 87/3 = 29 so you need 29*2=58 MP to get an exp boost. Which is a lot. Propably too much. I guess no synergy here.
Fran

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons