[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sassy Mutations

Sassy Mutations

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sassy Mutations

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Hmm, don't really know how to put it in words. Maybe something more like "I want more classes/features that encourages general glyph usage more so than a naked Guard would"

So Wizard -> -1 MP to all skills count (very general glyph promotion)
Sorcerer -> Cast spells = get HP counts.
Bloodmage -> Sort of because BludToPowaa is really a support glyph that powers other glyphs if we count that as a feature but then his 2 other features encourage punching people in the face.

Warlord and Paladin doesn't count for me because their glyphs helps powers hitting people with big weapons I guess? Something like that
TigerKnee

Postby fall_ark on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 pm

fall_ark

Postby Nandrew on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Yeah, Bloodmage has been through a lot.
Nandrew

Postby Darvin on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:58 pm

What Tigerknee and Fallark said is what's bugging me all this time.

I've been pondering the idea of having Bloodmage regenerate ONLY mana through Sanguine. That would make them primarily casters, with tons and tons of mana laying about. And it would also differentiate him from the Vampire or any other Drac user AND it would sort of make Drac a good deal for him, becuase he'd need the Bloodswells to heal up.

Having a way to work BLOODTOPOWA into all this for him specificaly would also make it more of his "personal" glyph, although having it switch sanguine from health to mana regeneration would most likely be too powerfull.

It would also make him the complete oposite of the Sorcerer, as Bloodmage would be the guy who turns healing into mana.

However, I have always had a huge issue with the Sorcerer, at least in theory. And that is he regenerates health and mana while exploring, (has more inital mana than anyone else (and mana's not exactly easy to come by)), AND his mana also rises his effictive health pool if he simply uses his spells. HALPMEH is a powerfull Glyph, but for Sorcerer - every glyph is HALPMEH, and most of the "this guy gets less mileage out of his glyph than than class X" ussually boils down to the Sorcerer getting more use out of any glyph, period.

So it's a bit difficult to design a more efficent "hybrid" class than the Sorcerer. He has huge upsides, and 0 downsides. Bloodmage can compete by virtue of having more resources on the map in the form of bloodpools, but if he's regenning health then he's just a less straight-forward Sorcerer. The paladin also has this problem, but he at least has other powerfull abilities which aren't directly related to direct healing, and starts out with 25% PHYS resist which enables a specific strat. Bloodmage has "regeneration" abilities only, but the only real advantage over the Sorcerer is that you can use BLOOTOPOWA for regen fight usin Fireballs (which you need exploration for, and BM uses up a ton of that just looking for stuff).

So, I'm not sure what the exact numbers would be, but having Bloodmage regen a point of mana (instead of health) for a percentage of his sanguine would make him a badass magic damage spiker again, who would in turn need HP potions. Having him only have Sanguine at all with BLOOTOPOWA active would be nice, as well as enable another Halfling friendly class.

Last, and very important - if there was a solid way to move the +5 mana from the sorcerer to the Bloodmage, and come up with something new for the Sorcerer, while adjusting his mana shield to 2 per level, or whatever, I sort of think it would be interesting. Or removing mana shield and giving Sorcereor Burning built in burning strike to incentiviese Fireballing - I don't know...

I'm not saying I don't like the current Bloodmage, I sort of do - I like havin an unreasonable ammount of extra resources per map. But I don't think it's possible to make a more straigtforward and efficent hybrid than Sorcerer allready is, and having a harder to use one as a lvl 3 in the same guildhall feels wrong.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:34 pm

2 more issues on the current Bloodmage:

The fact that you can't drink Bloodpools when at full health means that you can't effectively use them to get mana, which get's annoying when it would allow for one more crucial fireball. It gets doubly annoying when you manage to boost your sanguine to 30-40 % or even higher and regen your entire health pool, but only get 2 mana when getting one more mana means you can use GETINDARE as a cydstepp and avoid losing all that health.

(This is especially annoying for me personaly, as it means I have to "floor hop" a lot more in Gaan'Telet, go up, drink 2 blood pools, go down, get hit, go up, drink 2 blood pools, go down, get hit, go up, drink 2 blood pools, go down, fireball the sucker. If I'm at lvl9 thats porbably over 50 different map loads... for killing one guy :lol:)

Even more anoying is that using BLOODTOPOWA effectively means really, really, really avoiding getting either mana burned OR poisoned. Bloodtopowa doesn't work in either case. This makes the snake and the goblin floors in Gaan'Telet a difficult choice in wheter you only use your bloodpools to damage spike each opponent, only use BLOODTOPOWA to regen-fireball them, or blow potions every time you get hit. Patches would make an awesome prep for the Bloodmage (he needs all the stat boosts he can get) if it wasn't for his extreme vulnerability to poison and mana burn.
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 am

I've played a fair number of rounds with the Transmuter this weekend, and I'm pleased with him.

He's definitely a keeper! I think I might raise the conversion points per spell cast to 4 though.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 am

I took an Elven Transmuter down to the final level in Gaan'Telet, but non-poisonable non-XP-giving Sand Trolls did him in.

He's really very nice, GREAT with BLOODOPOWA, but could use a small buff to his CP gain. Stacking Spirit strenght is FUN :)
Lujo

Postby Hammerfan on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Mmmmm...

Has anyone tried using the new transmuter with the Avatar's Simbol?
Hammerfan

Postby Darvin on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Seems to me one of the few places where Avatar's Symbol might work quite well.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons