Sassy Mutations

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sassy Mutations

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Abraxas wrote:I believe I had seen people mentioning how the flat +2 HP was too weak/trivial. I can't remember if there was ever a dev response, but the impression I get is that after it was brought up, everyone just sort of assumed it was working as intended.

Hmm. That sounds like a lull in our involvement. Absolutely *not* what had been intended. :)
Nandrew

Postby TigerKnee on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Well, that was its exact stats in the Alpha I think so I'm not surprised people thought it was intended.
TigerKnee

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 pm

In the alpha, too?

God, this mistake goes way deep.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Well it did always feel rather silly, +20% attack and.. +2 HP. For that much gold? Really?

So, what's it supposed/going to be? Per level or per level up?

And, is it working now, or is it just that the tooltip is wrong?
Lujo

Postby fall_ark on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Lujo wrote:Whait, what?

+2 HP per level or level up?

On level up.

Good prep for Monk....if you choose not to prep Dragon Shield, I guess.
fall_ark

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Nandrew wrote:
Abraxas wrote:I believe I had seen people mentioning how the flat +2 HP was too weak/trivial. I can't remember if there was ever a dev response, but the impression I get is that after it was brought up, everyone just sort of assumed it was working as intended.

Hmm. That sounds like a lull in our involvement. Absolutely *not* what had been intended. :)

We just thought it was a crappy item, like all the other junk* clogging up our shops :)

That said, I always thought it was weird that the Elven Boots gave the scaling +2 MP and Dwarven** Gauntlets gave the flat +2 HP.

* Before the massive item reworks
** Someone on the dev team is just jealous of Gimli's beard
gjaustin

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Someone on the dev team HAS Gimli's beard.
Nandrew

Postby Darvin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Okay, maybe this is a bit late in the week, but my thoughts on Assassin:

He's really been shoe-horned into the role of caster-assassin now. The nerf has hit hybrids and melee assassins hardest, while leaving the most powerful build more or less alone. Lowering the attack power of a class that already had mediocre presence in melee combat just doesn't seem like the way to go, and I'd prefer to address him through other means.
Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 pm

We're giving him a better swing on the poison damage bonus (as opposed to just "returning to normal"). Dwarf Assassins may still cry into their pillows at night, but the harder-hitting hybrids should have a fighting chance again, even if they're not amazing.
Nandrew

Postby fall_ark on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 am

Nandrew wrote:We're giving him a better swing on the poison damage bonus (as opposed to just "returning to normal"). Dwarf Assassins may still cry into their pillows at night, but the harder-hitting hybrids should have a fighting chance again, even if they're not amazing.

Is his increasing impotence against undead work as intended or merely a byproduct though?
It just feels that the design philosophy isn't consistent - all other tier 3 classes are better with their signature glyph, but only Assassins suffer a weakness (and it will be linked to the glyph). Hell before Corrosion I sometimes convert APHEELSIK at the beginning just for the heck of it. If the baseline is that Assassin can't live without poison then that's not very good design IMHO.
fall_ark

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons