[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Paladin loadouts

Paladin loadouts

All things Desktop Dungeons

Paladin loadouts

Postby Blovski on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:06 am

I've been messing around a lot with Paladins lately - been wondering what people have been going for in the god stakes and how they've been outfitting them.

Soooo...

Golden Guardian - probably the most obvious paladin god, synergises well with everything. Can handle any hard or lesser boss without using Burndayraz as well. I'm fond of Dwarf Paladins with Fire Hearts for ridiculous health but most races should synergise well with him. Halflings are a surprising option here - you can convert the health potions for piety/protections/early enlightenment or whatever you like *and* you can use any spare.

Dracul - just taken this through an Ick Hoarder run (didn't work too well - had to keep my Halpme glyph around) but it worked). Piety gain is tricky to manage, and very gradual. Suppose the main point of interest is the +15% phys/mag. res means you can hit 58/33% resistances with dragon shield prepped and once you've got that the blood swell healing becomes very substantial indeed.

Earthmother - I haven't made much headway on this one. Double plant spawning is a horrible mess, and the way her piety gain works (i.e. you can get cut off from it a lot easier than most gods) she's a pain even for paladins to use (and entanglement no longer deals with her plants).

JJ - As a Paladin, the appeal's a bit baffling. I suppose a halfling might be able to eke something out of it.

Tikki Tooki - unpreppable atm because the penalty's horrific, unless it's changed from the death protections for lower-level monsters. Shame because TT would be an interesting if messy god to work with for Paladins. Immunity to the punishment would really up the ways you could use poison, and better XP gain is always something Paladins want. Once this is preppable I'll be going in with an agnostic collar.

Anyway...
Blovski

Re: Paladin loadouts

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:20 am

Binlor is also a solid choice. He lets you build up magic resist to go with your physical resist and ENDISWAL stacks with your built in physical resist.

What's even better is that once you have all the boons you want, you can just completely ignore the level up penalties!

I think I'm going to do an Orc Paladin w/ Binlor run right now...
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 am

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:07 am

TT's unpreppable?

I prepped him a bunch of times, and completed runs where I decided not to worship him at all...

Unpreppable (shakes head in disbilief)... He's un-desecratable, not un-preppable.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby fall_ark on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:22 am

fall_ark

Postby Blovski on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Blovski

Postby Lujo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Are you guys using burning to get rid of DP's on stuff correctly or is that an "advanced" technque? It works against AA's, should work fine againd DP's on TT preps.

Although, I must be counting on everyone using the "skip lvl-s 1to 4" preps, so I might be underestimating it...
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Um, I did when I prepped TT as Rogue for the very low-level stuff. Since the DPs return on level-up (IIRC) it makes your popcorn use a complete mess. Also for higher-level popcorn it means you need to be prepared to take quite a lot of damage and piety loss or waste a lot of mana to sort it. I mean, it's work-around-able on Normal and maybe a few hard dungeons but it's a pretty horrific penalty compared to all the other gods who are kind of reasonable now.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:43 pm

It refreshes on lvl-up?

Dear god...
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:35 pm

I thought it did - could be wrong.

Either way, it's still miles away the worst-designed punishment at the moment. Zero problem for one class that already gets a ton of mileage from TT, debilitating for the rest.
Blovski

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons