[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - I can't beat naga city

I can't beat naga city

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: I can't beat naga city

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 am

Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 am

For most VICIOUS dungeons the policy is sort of: "If something works there, whatever it is needs looking into." Some classes have natural, non-alarming advantages over some vicious dungeons, which icludes the Bloodmages ease in Gaan'Telet, but you don't have to worry about not being able to beat them.

I've only beaten the Demonic Library, like, twice, and Namtar once or twice. An I know that beating Gaan'Telet revolvers not around skill at gameplay but rather exploiting the very specific ways in which that dungeon is different than what is supposed to be a regular DD expirience. It doesn't make me a better player tbh, just lets me use my gaming expirience and a bit of an eye for game design flaws.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 am

I'm honestly hoping you guys decouple the monster classes from the Vicious dungeons some time. I can't really bring myself to complete them again to unlock said classes when I already troubled myself enough on my previous account
TigerKnee

Postby Blovski on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:30 pm

^

Maybe the monster classes could have an alternate unlock from getting (all the? or dungeon specific ones) badges in the dungeons in that direction. I mean, I think they're a nice incentive to complete the vicious dungeons but I'm not sure it's fair to wall them off so much - the badges thing isn't much easier but it requires less pushing what you know and more gradual progress.

(As the forum's sortofvetbutnotreally I've beaten NC and DI 5 times, VHOS 3 or 4, DL and Namtar not at at all yet)
Blovski

Postby arrenfrank on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Nandrew: thanks for your clarifications, and also massive respect for how involved you devs are with the community. It's a breath of fresh air to see even overly verbose, factually inaccurate (Horatio, durr on my part, don't know why I assumed I had to beat the vicious quests) posts like mine addressed with respect. My hat's off to you.

Your point about having some rewards for topmost players is well-taken. Just because I'm not one of 'em doesn't mean I disagree with their being rewarded — quite the opposite, in fact. It's entertaining in and of itself to read about / watch the vets cook up their wily mathe-magical stratagems.

However, Grimm's Grotto should still be HARD. Just sayin'. :)

Lujo, Blovski: good to know that even (at least some) of the vets don't find Vicious to be a cakewalk. Me feel ever-so-slightly less stupid now.
arrenfrank

Postby booooooze on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 pm

booooooze

Postby Fran on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Fran

Postby booooooze on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:35 pm

booooooze

Postby booooooze on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Parched, no less. With the wrong preps and really poor gameplay. Granted, lucked out on the Glenn subdungeon.

Quick run summary: JJ near the stairs, immediate worship. WEYTWUT everything in sight, but CAREFULLY. Got to look to see if there is boss blood under the enemy. Realized I forgot the bear mace. Took a health booster. Bought Midas gloves. Translocated Dwarven Gauntlets. Killed off Glenn. Kept exploring (and teleporting monsters) until I found Blah Blah, who I was careful to expose only when I had low health. Leveled up to 5, took Chaos Avatar at 100 piety (forgot that I could take it at 80), also forgot to desecrate Earthmother first. Whoops. Decide to jump to Dracul, so I took a mana boost, desecrated EM (and wasted my burn salve to get rid of that). Cleaned up low-level wraiths to avoid Dracul's anger. Converted, dumped health potions for Blood Shield, got close to level up, hit Indomitable a few times, leveled up. Regen fight and burning tricks really do him in quite easily (burning trick: hit him, fireball him, hit someone else. As a sorcerer who left their bear mace at home, that's 4 layers of DP right there; 5 if I had knockback.) Got Blood Hunger on the way. Bought the salve from the store to wipe my corrosion. Didn't plan well for Blah Blah, decided to level up to 10 and buy out the stores. Nothing spectacular left despite prepping Elite items. Keg of health that I burned for more piety, got more Blood Hunger and two Blood Tithes. Didn't drink any blood off the floor pre Blah Blah, Whupaz'd him for good measure, then just chased him around while I lapped up blood.

I don't mean for it to sound easy. I literally spent a week trying to unlock Vampire my first time, probably put in as much time trying to get it done that week as I did at "real" work.

(And I think Naga City is much easier than VHoS now because there are non-boss enemies for you to snack on, and stores.)
booooooze

Postby Blovski on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Blovski

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons