[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Demonic Library

Demonic Library

All things Desktop Dungeons

Demonic Library

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:14 am

OK, been bashing away at this one for a week.
I like the variety of bosses, the avatar room is quite interesting, I haven't won yet. (been damn close as a fighter and a sorceror, lost a fair few runs due to dodgy fireball prediction)
Anyway, the buff from a build or two back to the library in my view is *not* a good thing. The mini-bosses are tough enough as it is for non-fireballers, and their combination of abilities tend to very strongly promote fireballers as it is. Adding a stack of death protections to them as each one dies makes it a little bit harder for fireballers of doom but it also vastly restricts the number of approaches you can take to the dungeon by making physical characters have to take an extra load of hits from some *extremely* high-damage bosses.

I've managed to take some fireballers within spitting distance of a win. My non-fireballer attempts have been completely abortive. Now, I accept dungeons should promote different playstyles but the making-the-dungeon-harder thing has made it harder mainly for those playstyles for whom it was already horrible.

If you want to keep the buff in and also to promote the variety-of-problems thing the surface dungeon has going for it, I think the different minibosses need to grant a different small bonus to the others on death, which adds another layer to the boss management and would mean that the buff A) is manageable, and B) affects all playstyles more or less equally.
Blovski

Re: Demonic Library

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 am

I'd probably just change some of the boss stats themselves to be a little more generous towards physical approaches ie. low damage and more MRes.

The new DP change is an appreciable problem and it does create a bias towards fireball slingers, but at the same time that's what the North is about: rampant spellchucking. :) So I'd rather tweak the bosses themselves and leave the on-death effect in.
Nandrew

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:20 am

Heh, bit of a blovsulk there. Been losing to this one so much : p
Some lower-damage bosses would also probably help phys characters out, I agree. I suppose my main objection is that the DPs buff really hurts playstyle variety here while not massively affecting the current easiest playstyle (since fireballs avoid most of the status effects and first strike). Even without the DPs, spell-slinging is a massively favoured playstyle in this dungeon and the dungeon is harder than (in my view) DI, VHOS or NC.
Blovski

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Heh, yeah man, I think the stuff you've been doing with GG and Dwarves is awesome (been following mentions in various threads), but that's simply not going to cut it in this dungeon. :P Neither that particular god nor that particular race are well-equipped for DL, IMO.

Like I said, though, base stat adjustments should help out. Making the bosses a little easier overall while increasing their MR should work out, and particularly determined fireballers will just have to think a little harder about piercing and counter measures (Binlor and Mystera being two jolly good options).

I would even go as far as suggesting that very little be done to the aboveworld bosses, while simply knocking off the Avatar's PR. So the surface playstyle is more magic-oriented, while underground has physical opportunities.

Idunno. Spitballing. Either way, changes can be made.
Nandrew

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 pm

gjaustin

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Blovski

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:10 pm

If he didn't do it on a completely fresh profile, one of the broken iterations of the Vampire.
gjaustin

Return to Desktop Dungeons