[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Patches the bad news bear

Patches the bad news bear

All things Desktop Dungeons

Patches the bad news bear

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Patches needs a log. It could be in the piety gain section for all I care, but I can't tell if I want him on my runs or not, because I can't deduce what he does most of the time.

I'm not asking for the formula, mind you, just a way to keep track of what I got out of him (debuffs are easy enough). It would make deciding the right moment to scrap him quite a bit easier.

Also, the formula. Or rather, whatever help in assembling a list of stuff that he can do to you, beneficial or not, so we can add suggestions to it.

As far as I know, upon levle up he can do any 2 of these, one good one not good:

The Good:

+4 to both resists
+1 mana
+??? health (can't be sure)
+5 attack bonus (props to Darvin for stat, and Avatar for the number)
+? gold (props to Darvin for pointing it out)

The Bad:

Poison
Mana Burn
Teleport
Map reveal for quite a bunch of squares

The "good" are permanent, and the bad are temporary, but can screw you over pretty hard, and often call for burning a potion. Which sort of defeats the "transitory" nature of the bad things, seeing as you can only get rid of mana burn and poison on a level up, which you just did and probably can't while poisoned or mana burned, or by drinking a potion which makes the debuff non-transitory but rather permanent (the damned bear steals a potion!).

What am I not seein, and since there were so many ideas for the JJ punishment / boon thread, maybe this would be a good place to unload all of those.

I propose that getting a random debuff cleansing off of the damned bear would be a good idea, that the mana burn and poison clash with the supposed "temporary" nature of the debuffs and might be replaced with a health+mana drain (which would then make all of the debuffs exploraiton hogs, but still). Curse could allso be added to the debuffs most likely, maybe even a couple of stacks. Oh, and losing a random kingdom building without a tooltip as to induce post run stroke would be pretty "in spirit" of the bear.
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Patches the bad news bear

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:14 pm

other beneficial effects include attack bonus and gold.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Fran

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Lujo

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Mm, a tooltip would be really nice.
Blovski

Postby Mister Bile on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:28 am

Thirded? Foruthed? Patches negative effects aren't so obvious, and his positive effects are even less so.
Mister Bile

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 am

If Darvin didn't tell me about the gold and the attack I still wouldn't have a clue, and I've been using him quite a bit all this time. He really, really, needs a "log".
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:14 pm

What about a "next buff/debuff" indicator on the item description itself? :D
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Heh, I'd be happy as a toddler with just being able to know what he did to me allready :D
Lujo

Postby harfatum on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons