Lujo's comprehensive tactics compendium

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Lujo's comprehensive tactics compendium

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Hence me wanting to move this sort of activity there instead.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm all for it, but i'd rather it stick around for proofreading for a bit unless updating it is causing a mess somewhere at the server. I'm still figuring stuff out as I go along in certain places, and people constantly chip in, wouldn't want to stick stuff I'm "wrong" about on a wiki. Having it exist as a forum post for a little while would let some of it mature a bit, because I don't know how much feedback would coume from it being part of a wiki, and might be taken as face falue too much.

And I don't know how to get to editing one :oops:

Wouldn't mind it, though...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Don't worry about being wrong; the whole point of the Wiki is that anyone can edit and add info. Right now, most of the class, god, and glyph strategies are predominantly based on my opinion and playstyle, and we do need other knowledgeable players to get in there and add their own perspective.

As to how to edit the wiki, it's pretty easy. Sign up and create an account, go to the page you want to edit, click the "edit" button, then start writing the text you want to be on that page. Don't worry about formatting; most of the pages are already templated with headers and subsections.

FYI, I've been using the term "striker" to refer to a damage-spiking character build and "brawler" to refer to a regen-fighting character build on the Wiki.

Also, if you're going to become active on the Wiki, ask dislekcia for admin privileges so you can delete spam and ban spambots.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Ty for all that!

Will reply and get active on the wiki for sure :)
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:02 am

Ok, concerning the wiki:

1) My chrome doesn't want to acess it at all. It leaves me at a blank browser page. Internet Explorer works but spamms me with various crap.

2) A lot of stuff here adds new stuff for the wiki apparently.

3) The main thing it adds is a rather in-depth approach to strategy, very class-unrelated, which focuses on "spikes" in general and how they combine. It would need its own strategy main page with links to various stuff (some of which is allready coverd, some not). There's also spike related info on the gods which is probably good, and some terminology overlap with the wiki, and some clash. For example, focusing on spike and regen fighting as keywords rather than striking and brawling, is that "spike" is a procecess (a non-exploratory one) and some of them (especially piety based ones) are applicable to all classes. Looking at it that way you can plan for a spike, rather than, say, for a rogue, or you can spot opportunities for including a spike on-the-fly.

Opportunity cost, however is something I had to come up with as "dedication tax". Which one is more appropriate I can't tell because I only came up with the term yesterday. They aren't necessarily synonims, but I'm not sure.

4) Im not completely happy with all of my own terminology, but there is some stuff I feel really needed to have a name (like hard candy, which is actually fuel for dodgestep). Without having a name (or awareness) for stuff like that prevents conciouss calculation of the opportunity cost of focusing certain tactics, or even viability in a situation. "Fuel" is also another thing I feel very glad I finally came up with, because thinking about stuff in terms of what fuels it can lead to easier combination and optimization, as well as which particular feature competes with which for resources in a run. Also, for comparison, and especially supplementing stuff with other simmilar non-competing stuff.

5) I'll write the rest of the spikes (piety, tanking, glyph based...) and try to do DING! and Regen (and explain the concept of megaspike), and then we see how we move it all to the wiki, unless bumping this thread is too anoying.
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons