[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby choongmyoung on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:21 am

choongmyoung

Postby srid on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 am

The Avatar is right.
But the way the code is implemented is even a little more complicated than that.
There is a PhysicalResistanceEffect that can be applied to both the player and enemies.
This effect stores a total amount of resistance, a max resistance cap, and
an effective amount resistance, which cannot go above the resistance cap, and is the amount displayed in the game.
The total amount of resistance which I first mentioned however may go above the cap.

When the player or an enemy gains resistances, both the amount of resistance gained and the new cap
must be given in the code.
The amount of resistance gained is then added to the total amount of resistance, the resistance cap is changed
if necessary, and the effective amount is then set to be the minimum between the total amount and the cap.

In the case of Stheno and most monsters, they gain some resistance and the cap is explicitly set at 90%.
In the case of the Paladin gold Challenge, the boss resistances are explicitly set to 95% and the cap to 100%.

I hope this is clearer like that. This is the way the game was coded, and it makes sense to me.
The philosophy is that they don't want the effective resistance going up to more than 90% because it would make them impossible to beat. But if you screw with Stheno however, that's your problem, and you will have to remove a lot of
total resistance from her before she starts losing some effective resistance...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby maya on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:25 am

then quick question. why is mystera able to give enemies 100% resits? (for those wondering worshiping mystera in hall of steel as an assassin works wonders in making this happen (also even if enemy has 100 resists assassin still kills them if their lower level)) because if the cap is 90 then how (and why) does myserta break this? also the 100 resistance actually works (for physical at least (never tested magic)) it's not just their for show
maya

Postby srid on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:52 am

Good question indeed.

As I said before, every time resistances are applied to the player or a monster, the code calls a method that requires to specify the new cap. When you anger Mystera, this method is called with a new cap of 100.
At that points, two things can happen: If the monster already has resistances, then the new cap becomes the
minimum of the current cap and the new cap. So the cap can only go down.
If the monster has not this type of resistance already, then the new cap is directly applied.

This should not have much impact, as most enemies that start with resists have a 100% resist cap, but not all.
For instance, the last form of Anoobis in Creeplight Ruins seems to have a physical 75% resistance cap.

Also it made me realize that many monster in the Extreme Edition have 90% resist cap instead of 100%,
but we might change that in the next release :-)

For instance, if you anger Mystera a lot so that Stheno gains 100 resistance, and then you attack Stheno for the first time,
her power should set the new cap to 90 again!

The effective resistance that is displayed always corresponds to the actual resistances used for damage computation,
so there is no reason to worry about that.

Also, even if a monster has 100% resistance, you can still damage him with corrosion.
So if anyone wants to try a Rat Monarch of Mystera run in Hall of Steel or Vicious Steel, it might work.

@maya: did you win with your Assassin of Mystera in Hall of Steel? Did you reduce the boss resistances again first?
Because if you keep angering Mystera beyond 100% resistance, then the hidden resistance count of the monsters
should keep increasing, and then her Weakening should have no real effect.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

srid

Postby maya on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:01 am

I actually started worship at the very beginning (and even prepped her for some reason) and because it was halls of steel there was a random enemy type, steel golems, and illusions (which were more for wonafyt fodder then actually killing). even if i killed magic enemies while leveling up i probably generated enough piety to ignore the loss. I was able to get both bosses down (random being jormungdar) without angering mystera while picking up mystic balance, two mana (might have been prepped) and flames. afterwards i started messing around and managed that. i managed to get a nice screen cap of an assassin being able to one shot a level 9 animated armor with 100% resists and 9 death protections.
maya

Postby srid on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Forgive me, my previous explanation on enemy resistances where incomplete.

As I said, each enemy has its own hidden resistance cap variable which is set by the game, which explains why some
can go up to 90 resistances, and the boss of the Gold Paladin Challenge has 95% resistances.

However, there is another part of the game's code where the damage dealt are computed, and in this part the
resistances are capped at 90% no matter what. This means that even if the Gold Paladin Boss has 95%, you will deal him 10% of your regular damage (rounded up). I checked.

srid

Postby chandl34 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Minor issue: if you cast HALPMEH to remove poison while above full health, it will reset your health to its maximum.
chandl34

Postby srid on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:26 am

Well spotted. Halpmeh cannot be cast when at full health or above, except when you are poisoned.

srid

Postby AvovA17 on Thu May 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Get Refreshment from Mystera. Drag a glyph to convert it. The mana bar might predict wrong amounts of mana if you have some mana already. For example, I have 18/20. When I drag a glyph to the conversion icon, it shows I will have 28 mana. But when I convert, I only have 20.
AvovA17

Postby maya on Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am

the prediction will also be wrong for elves aswell(only on even but I suppose odd to extent too) due to the fact that they cause an increase in max mana.
maya

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons