Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby AvovA17 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:30 am

Is Specialist badge bugged? I played a monk with Martyr wraps and Whurragarbl, I did not get it, even though I converted every glyph on sight.
AvovA17
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby choongmyoung on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 am

AvovA17 wrote:Is Specialist badge bugged? I played a monk with Martyr wraps and Whurragarbl, I did not get it, even though I converted every glyph on sight.

Burning damage is magical.
choongmyoung
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby srid on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 pm

It has probably been mentioned already, but I got a few bugs with gods in the Naga Arena:

I did a Paladin of GG run where I could take 7 absolutions at the end after killing everyone
(I got a screenshot of this one).
Actually, now that I think of it, it might be because of the Hooded Figure presence, that could allow the use of absolution, but without being removed...

Another run, with the GoatPerson, prepped JJ, and "converted" to MA once in the arena (well, not really converted, I bought her altar and then leveled up), but I'm almost certain that I still got piety bonuses from JJ to. I did not take a screenshot for this one, so I'm not 100% sure. Also I lost that run, and tried again with the same strategy and did not notice anything this time, but I did not pay much attention either, so...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
User avatar
srid
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby AvovA17 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:09 pm

choongmyoung wrote:
AvovA17 wrote:Is Specialist badge bugged? I played a monk with Martyr wraps and Whurragarbl, I did not get it, even though I converted every glyph on sight.

Burning damage is magical.


That's a bug. Fire is physical, not magical :)
AvovA17
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby srid on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm

choongmyoung wrote:Burning damage is magical.

AvovA17 wrote:That's a bug. Fire is physical, not magical


Well, you are both right, actually.

I just checked the source code and ran some tests to confirm.

Apparently only three things count for getting Specialist:

When player deal melee damage, it counts as physical (except for Half-Dragons or when you get Consecrated Strike from GG, which count as magical).
When player deal spell damage: it counts as magical. Such event happen from casting Burndayraz or popping a burn stack.
When player deal knockback damage with Pisorf: it counts as physical.

However, the damage bonus you get from burn stacks when hitting with Whurragarbl are not considered, or to say it differently, they are counted as part of the physical damage done by the player.

So, Burning damage is magical ONLY when the burn stack pops. That means that if you kill the boss with Whurragarbl in a straight fight with no popcorn in the middle, you do get the Specialist badge. Otherwise, you don't.

I agree that it seems a little weird, it would have been simpler if Burn Stack did not count as physical nor magical IMHO.
But that being said, this game has so many awesome mechanics interacting with each other that I can blame the original devs for letting a few weird edge cases here and there.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
User avatar
srid
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby choongmyoung on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm

srid wrote:When player deal melee damage, it counts as physical (except for Half-Dragons or when you get Consecrated Strike from GG, which count as magical).
When player deal spell damage: it counts as magical. Such event happen from casting Burndayraz or popping a burn stack.
When player deal knockback damage with Pisorf: it counts as physical.

That's interesting and confusing at the same time... as long as I remember, Half-Dragon's knockback damage IS NOT physical from the sense of Specialist, but IS physical at calculating the damage. That could explain it.

So AvovA may hit something in the middle of the boss fight and popped the burn stack, and it counted as a magical damage.

One thing I'm curious about: if you physically attack the boss with 0 attack, and kill it with fireballs, does it invalidate Specialist? In the other words, which of these count: 'type of damage' or the 'type of source'?
choongmyoung
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby srid on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 pm

choongmyoung wrote:One thing I'm curious about: if you physically attack the boss with 0 attack, and kill it with fireballs, does it invalidate Specialist? In the other words, which of these count: 'type of damage' or the 'type of source'?


It's the type of the source. Generally speaking, even if you don't do any damage, it still counts as an attack.

Except Pisorfing an enemy to an empty tile. But even then, it can still sometimes trigger things, like Stheno going mad... but I consider this as a bug, because in other places, similar code patterns check if Pisorf actually did damage or not, before triggering the boss reaction, but not Stheno...

EDIT: maybe it is intended and it is not a bug, after all, Pisorfing Stheno is an agression, even if you don't damage her. Maybe in other patterns what trigger the boss reaction is actual damage.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
User avatar
srid
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm

srid wrote:EDIT: maybe it is intended and it is not a bug, after all, Pisorfing Stheno is an agression, even if you don't damage her. Maybe in other patterns what trigger the boss reaction is actual damage.


*Shove* "Hey!"
User avatar
dislekcia
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby AvovA17 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:08 am

The zombie in the graveyard subdungeon that drops magic boots should have 15% MR. :)
AvovA17
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby zayyeh on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 am

Unless he had it in a backpack ;)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
User avatar
zayyeh
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron