[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Question for Nandrew

Question for Nandrew

All things Desktop Dungeons

Question for Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:51 pm

Uhhh, I don't mind this thread being locked or deleted, I just wonder if I could get an offical stance on the whole Drac Bloodswell thing. I've been mentioning it so much noone missed it and all, and I don't mind deleting my posts on it too, doing a forum search and just making it dissapear.

I just really wonder whats the offical stance? The rework happened during my absence, so I never was able to figure out why it changed. The change looks benign, he works really good for health strats, except for the Bloodswell exploitiness regarding %res stackers.

I'll whipe everything I ever posted about it, I'm not looking for discussion or anything, just if I could get the info.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Question for Nandrew

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:01 am

gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:29 am

(pruned as promised, old Drac related)
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 am

Drac is receiving an incoming nerf this week, in terms of spike piety gain and the Bloodswell effect, so y'all will be able to see how he plays out a little later.

It's hopefully not an overnerf, I wouldn't want to dull anyone's enthusiasm for the death god :P
Nandrew

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:54 am

We're also not going to comment on every thread we read and notice something in, just to make you feel like you've been "heard" Lujo. Everything is heard. Stuff gets debated in due course. Sometimes we don't see the need to change stuff, sometimes we do... If we replied to everything on the forums we ended up talking about from a design perspective, everyone would expect everything to be changed and thus be constantly disappointed.

Why post threads like this?
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Ty for the info, I made the thread to avoid getting into debates about the issue in other threads and all that. I needed info on whether it was intended to be like this to know whether to keep writing the "spike guide" or wait for developments about the thing (now I know), and I had made a video of a Gaan'Telet run which let me see the Bloodswell thing on replay and didn't want to upload it because it would be heavily showing off a feature which was visibly too powerful and I really wasn't sure if it was intended.

Don't want a video which shows something like that, but if it was meant to work that way, then I was free to add sound and commentary to a hour of footage. And now I also know that.

I didn't know whether I'd be answered, and what Nandrew told was enough for all my needs, and I can (if it's possible) delete this tread, and all mentions of Drac I made these days. Even if the answer from you guys was "bugger off, no business of yours" I'd still feel I tried my best, and not my worst, to find out stuff which interested me for rather practical reasons.
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Yeah. Cool story bro...

Any video of a beta you release is going to have some out of date elements eventually. Same thing with your spike guide, it will be impacted by changes and eventually go out of date. Acting like you super need extra special confirmation right now isn't rad. Have some patience please?

I'm going to stop replying to you until you calm down again. Even if Dracul changed completely this afternoon, uploading your Gaan-Telet runs is up to you anyway - maybe it'd serve as a record of something OP eventually. Who knows?
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 pm

I wasn't even excited.

Ok, don't reply to this, or ban me or whatever, just read this, please:

If my endgame of a hour long video consists of me hopping floors to press a button incessantly (or rather alternates between that and stepping on static red dots) and this causes the boss to drop 3750 HP on it's own, it's fine, but how the devil do I comment on it?

Say it takes 5 minutes of me floor hopping and hitting the boss, what do I say while this is going on? I spend 55 minutes pulling every trick in the book to deal about 10000 damage total going through different stages of inventory management, glyph combo's, puzzley floors, trickshots, potions, god hopping, and then the endgame 5000 damage (accounted for resists) is just pressing one button and picking up bloodpools?

What do I say while this is going on? Yeah, I bet you're bored to tears, but at least you don't have to click for this stuff? Yeah, I've just used a single feature I haven't invested a second of gamplay effort in, but the game has depth, believe me? Yeah, this looks pretty ridiculous to me too, I've mentioned it around the forums but noone (EDIT) important seems to see anything wrong with it?

Do I just do it a bunch of times and put a black screen on with the caption "5 minutes later" on it and then just show the bosses corpse and reassure anyone who viewed it that nothing remotely interesting happened meanwhile?

Rendering this video for upload takes hours of my computers time, and I fixed every obstacle I had to making it. If I could get information on whether I could get a more presentable run in the near future, why waste all the time and effort on something which is an anti-comercial to a game I like?

And I can't write a guide which has a "All you've read an possibly tired out and liked is inferior to this bit here". Why bother with all the stuff that takes a bit of effort if there's something which doesn't? Numbers will change, but this thing was obviously unintentionaly broken in principle.

So, what I wanted to know was whether all this was intentonal, and I asked the only person who both could and might answer my question, and he did, and I have a life so I didn't post a ty in time. Who could answer that question except one of you guys, and who can decide whether to change or not change something? There's no ego here, bro, I tried to be direct and polite and to the point, and I got all I needed and was thankfull for it. What in the world is wrong with that?
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:07 pm

^ While practical and has crossed my mind, my issue with that is that I'd litterally be fast-forwarding the boss. I mean, Horatio's practicaly nothing but a resource hog, but he's a pretty fat one and it didn't have to be that anticlimactic. This was sort of my option for the "works as intended" scenario for Drac, although having to use effects to hide / compensate for the fact that I need only one resource to take him out would be a bit sad.

But the whole issue of Drac is resolved now, so when the damned thing is done you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons