[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Campaign Mode/Individual Characters

Campaign Mode/Individual Characters

All things Desktop Dungeons

Campaign Mode/Individual Characters

Postby Nurator on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:59 pm

I thought a bit about what is missing in DD yet and I found one thing:
I always play with the bloodmage or the assassin, but never with MY hero.

I would love to be able to choose a name/portrait in the beginning and start with a low tier hero without any abilities, that could grow between different missions.

Maybe every different dungeon he wins, I can pick whether to increase his attackpower/mana points/... and on every third different dungeon win you get to pick one ability (maybe presented in a mission like the class quests, that you have to beat to get your ability), so in the end you get a bad ass character that you like to play and that is your own :)
Nurator

Re: Campaign Mode/Individual Characters

Postby Lujo on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Simmilar to your suggestion, sort of, but putting 10 more floors and a save game function into Gaan'Telet... Yeah, we'd have a whole separate roguelike bundled up with Desktop Dungeons.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby fall_ark on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:43 pm

fall_ark

Postby Fran on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Fran

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, I REALLY want a goat class. With his own Zoo or Farm Building. Either that or a badass Dark Knight Class who has a castle.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Although you all realize that they do have a really neat game system/engine for cranking out games untill they are old and rich. I'd be rather surprised if they didn't make what you describbed as a spinoff rather soon after an direct expansion for this is done.

I'd be sad if they ever moved into full 3d or real time stuff, that sort of thing (3d) was mostly a dead end in gaming as far as I'm concerned, but that's just me. Too much effort and resources that could go into devving and tweaking...
Lujo

Postby squirrelnest on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 am

squirrelnest

Postby Lujo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:56 am

^ Theres also a ton of stuff out there which has great mechanics but really unfriendly interfaces. Old stuff - remake and reinterpretation fodder. For example, there's no 4X game out there that made use of the concept that it can work with DD-like style. I mean, Master of Orion (and magic) would be infinitely more playable with a decent interface and a simple update of graphics for higher resolutions (and Wesnoth sort of dominates the tactical-combat genre for me these days). Heroes of Might and Magic 3 were practicaly a flash game when you get down to it.

Why isn't there a system friendly remake of civ-games is beyond me.

Or Chaos Overlords for that matter.

TBH the "charm" of stylization is what sold some of the games I remember as big hits (Warcraft 2 for example). Charming stylization and an easy to use interface go a looooong way. I like this about DD, the feel of it is so timeless.
Lujo

Return to Desktop Dungeons