[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Dungeon or Puzzle Editor?

Dungeon or Puzzle Editor?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Dungeon or Puzzle Editor?

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:14 pm

I don't know about everybody else, but I would LOVE a level editor. Or a way to make my own dungeons. It's really not that hard to create a dungeon if you think about it. All it is a tile set, a collection of monsters, a boss, a generation code (i.e. maze, cave, etc.), possibly a special subdungeon, possibly some scripted events, and finally a map description, name, and difficulty.

Heck all you need to make a dungeon are the game files and you could make one. Kind of like how if you right-click the crawl shortcut and hit show files it has everything there. You can just go into the Dungeon Sprint section and add one (for any of you crawl players). You just use the files already there to make new stuff. You can even add new monsters or items with new sprites. It'd be even easier for Desktop Dungeons because there's no random stats, just percentages.

Devs, would anything like a level editor or the files be available after release. Or make them available only to special edition buyers, or something along that be possible?

Everyone, do you guys want a level editor, or is just me being an obsessive freak who needs more challenges :D
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Dungeon or Puzzle Editor?

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 am

Maybe after the game's gone gold?

The devs have to have built the engine in the kind of modular format that Crawl is in.

If dungeons are discrete entities, to which the gameplay code is applied, it would probably be easy.

If not, and every dungeon type is interwoven with everything else, then you may be waiting a long time.

From the dev's comments, most things seem to be hard-coded, implying that you have to know what you are doing and looking for to make even small changes, which can easily have carry-on effects (case in point slayer wand change).

Then again, I have limited programming skills and have never seen the guts of DD.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:15 am

Let's hope it will work eventually. BECAUSE IT WOULD BE FREAKING AWESOME!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 am

Given how things are, adding a new 'custom dungeon slot' would cost 100,000 gold, then 200,000, then 300,000...
Bloggorus

Postby fall_ark on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 am

fall_ark

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:02 am

Right now, we operate on a shoogly little system where some stuff is hardcoded, some stuff isn't and things are really a little too wrapped up to be considering custom editors. If it was that easy, we'd already have created ourselves a much friendlier environment to use for in-house editing. As it stands, the effort of making the game more transparent and moddable is considerable enough that it would be dragging us away from the ever-so-important task of finishing what's needed.
Nandrew

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 am

Particularly given the enthusiasm of some of the community members.

This has been the most mature and constructive beta I have ever been a part of.

It might have to do with it's small size, but the level of engagement from the devs, and the intelligent nature of discussions gives me hope for this kind of development into the future.

Decent mods will be abound with this community behind it.

edit: Sneaky Nandrew getting in there before i was finished
Bloggorus

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:02 pm

gjaustin

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Kickstarter doesn't work for companies in South Africa :<
dislekcia

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm

It doesn't? That's unfortunate :(