[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Show me your Veto Slots

Show me your Veto Slots

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Show me your Veto Slots

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 pm

I also sort of think they aren't - there aren't any really easy to do silver challenges from a newbie / casual perspective. As I've moaned about incessantly - I still can't figure out a way to unlock the assasins dagger.

Second thing about quest items is that there are many different categories and no obvious simetry. For example, there are no "mis-directional" dungeon "4 class comletion" unlocks for the north and the south, and the east and west both unlock magic user gear (Battlemage Ring and Mage Plate if I'm not much mistaken).

Also, I'm using the quest item prep for both platemail and tri-sword users (when I'm not prepping them), soul orb/viper ward scumming, battlemage ring / MW / Mage Plate guys (biggest focus on magic gear), and it also includes Martyr Wraps and Gloves of Midas AND a whole bunch of really niche stuff. It's a bit of a mess tbh.

I see a whole bunch of approaches to putting some order into it. One would be to have the first few items anyone unlocks through questing (or rather, the items unlocked in Venture Cave and Den of Danger) expand the "basic" pool rather than be Quest items. Then figure out how many quests would that need and what the "complete" pool would be (also define the quests for Venture cave - I'd love to have 4 questilnes for eah class building simmilar to Unlikely Heroes).

This would make the standard pool a bit more "embargo" proof to discourage, erm, enterpenurial minded individuals like myself from overly easy shennanigans.

Then I'd deffinitely decide upon what items do Slime Pits, Cursed Oasis, Magma Mines and the Berserker Camp give out for "Complete with X classes" quests, figure out what category they go in and have them be decent items for various approaches (Battlemage Ring and Platemail come to mind, not sure about the other but Crystal Ball and Fire Heart could be nice once they are "fixed in place"). They could also increase the basic pool just with less chance of appearing, sort of "cap it off". Or not.

And then have the Challenge Rewards include the Puzzle Pack rewards (Soul Orb and Viper Ward) for a good mix of general-purpose / niche stuff for what is now the "Quest Items Prep" - people would still be taking it for Martyr Wraps, Gloves of Midas and so on and so forth. I guess.

There really ought to be a thread about this.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:20 am

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Definitely. Actually, the Ward and Symbol are worth 50 (or 100?) and the shield sells for 18 I believe. If they all costed 50 or so it might be fair.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 pm

You misunderstood me, an item that you'd veto and locker at the same time would in functionality make a VICIOUS quest reward, the way they work NOW.

And as for the current VICIOUS stuf being available in shops... I really don't know. Too many variables, too little info on what the devs think about it.

What does the Avatars Symbol do again?
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Agreed, but I'd be willing to buy any of them...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 pm

And thats the problem, what both of you just said - the dragonshield is too good to be allowed in the shops (or in the game IMO, and I don't think I'm bragging when I state that I'm probably the world champion in overusing that thing). At one point I had the exact formulation for why exactly this is so, but it's lost somwhere among the text walls.

The Avatars Ward is actually more of a high end shop item, and the symbol... I don't know, since I skipped the whole old cydstepp craze I seem to value an individual source od Death protection more than the average guy (and probably closer to what they are actually worth, or ment to be). I can't tell if having such a steady and stable source available in shops would be too good or a nice strat cornerstone.

But the damned shield is a big problem, just by existing it causes a need to have less resistance items around and to not put any in shops to make %res stacking depend on boons more. It's ment to be a post endgame reward, but it alters the game too much once it becomes available to ever consider not unlocking it (in my expirience). I'd rather not have it in the game at all, but have the +8 charm from Cursed Oasis be unlocked by completing it 4 times and be available in the shops.
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 pm

I rarely ever prep the Dragon Shield anymore, since there's so many other good options.

The problem with Avatar Symbol is that 10% per kill isn't quite enough to make up for 9% all resists. If it were a small item...

And the problem with Namtar's Ward is that it doesn't provide enough of a benefit against the boss to be worth prepping. if it could hold 2 or 3 charges before maxing out, it would be a lot better.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 pm

It's really nice for Orc Rogues. In fact, both the ward and the symbol are. I have to agree on the Dragon Shield. Still, it fits thematically. Perhaps simply removing the physical resistance. Then it would be a nice item, without breaking it too much. After all, The Matron is sort of anti-magic despite being a dragon.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons