[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Chaos Theory

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Can you at least take the 5% bonus off Unstoppable Fury? Or off all the equipment but not unstoppable fury? That would help considerably, seeing as you can get +20% from it alone.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Yeah, the whole Monk + Taurog business needs just a little nerf like that. 20% is enough, 5% per Unstoppable Rage is a bit too much, and taking it away would just put Taurog back to where he was when he had the +20% boots boon.

And as for the in-dungeon stuff that might need attention, the only things I'm not too sure about are the first strike shennanigans (might just need a thread), this little monk kink and that's about it... Price of Cydstepp?

And the shop and item categories are a macro / kingdom development thing anyway and will get their own post...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:40 pm

I dunno, the Monkrog isn't innately monstrous (well, where you have non-phys. bosses at least) and I had a very tight Havendale game with it just now (had to convert to GG then out to Binlor to win it, firstborn + Zin Kibaru as bosses, brr....), it's more that Martyr Wraps are a phenomenal early game item for monks and if you're going Orc anyway the bonus damage is more relevant. Personally I think the Taurog damage boost works given you're more or less abandoning spellcasting for it and monks get relatively little out of the death protections themselves - it amplifies the benefits of Taurog for the obvious users a bit (Monks, Zerkers, Rogues) but also makes it more interesting as a choice to stick with for other characters that probably wouldn't consider him except as a piety farm.

I don't think lowering the damage bonus actually resolves the problem which is that it tends to simplify your overall strat a lot in advance (I don't think it's worse than the Binlor resist-monster). This gets better on maps like Havendale/Ick where you've got geography problems and the odd interesting enemy.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:12 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:27 pm

I have to agree. It's no fun when something is just too good. If it can beat all non-Vicious physical bosses, that's like half the game.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm still not sold on this being a problem that needs solving. I've been playing around with it, and yeah it's good, but it also crashes and burns whenever you run into Tormented One or Tower of Goo or Aequitas etc. I have a better win percentage with the tried and true Halfling Priest + Trisword + Extra Gold. At a certain point, I think that we need to acknowledge that we are very proficient players and can consistently win the game.
Sidestepper

Postby Fran on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Fran

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Excuse me, I misspoke. I should have said anything that lets a medium skill level player easily defeat all hard physical attackers gets to me. You should have to work for your win a bit more. You shouldn't be able to just tell a new player to use Monk with Taurog and all of a sudden he's crushing stuff.

The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

gjaustin

Postby Fran on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Exactly. Dungeons where there are magical and physical bosses at the same time are no cakewalk either, and that are alot of dungeons.
Fran

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons