[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Chaos Theory

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:49 am

My bad on the hp potion comment. Miscalculated. Still, the double regen point (a monk's biggest strength) stands.

While the Taurog nerf isn't explicitly necessary, it just take a little bit of the edge away. 20% is HIGE for monks, especially considering with the other boons and boosters you'll have 40%.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Taurog's rather debatable for a lot of other classes in the game though. That's the reason why his boons got that percentage buff in the first place!

So what can I say, maybe things has changed now and people think he's a good god overall? But assuming things are still the same and he's not considered great, then... well, the Monk's a problem child.
TigerKnee

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm not sure for long this has been going on, but I just noticed that the Labyrinth no longer creates a proper maze, but rather one long corridor with maybe a few branching dead ends at the beginning. I really, really hate the new setup. It's pure luck as to whether or not you get stuck, and because you have to fight every monster, Rex shows up at around level 5 or so, which makes for an unwinnable game unless you are packing endgame preps. Also, it sucks super hard for Bloodmages, who have no choice but to drink every blood pool as they are created, totally wasting their main advantage.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah, I've noticed. I got really lucky on my fighter run. Rex decided he preferred being in between me in the wall, rather than me being in between the wall and him.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:16 am

Bloggorus

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 am

Binlor and navigation glyphs are are well and good, but I think that Hard and below should be solvable for Purists without lucky spawns. If the necessary elements don't spawn, or spawn on the far side of the corridor, you end up with an unsolvable puzzle. Last time this happened, I did get WONAFYT, but it doesn't help when you get stuck between Rex and a level 8 at 5th level.
Sidestepper

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:26 am

The monk-taurog might mean a player can beat every dungeon without thinking, but that is only one step on the road to actually finishing the game.

Dungeons should be easy to beat, hard to master. That is game design 101, and something the devs have been implementing very well in the last few updates.

I would say that finding great combinations is one of the best parts of the game, and somethign the devs are committed to.

With the introduction of the RPG mechanics, and unlockable items, the devs are obviously committed to letting players min-max their way to a win, as well as with skill. if you prep right, the game can be a cakewalk, just like if you grind long enough in most RPGS you can blow everything away.

Leveling systems in RPGs are popular and addictive because they have variable difficulties. With enough skill you should be able to get through, even with 'low level' characters.

Also, with the devs introducing more and more mechanics which force players to use multiple classes and perform unusual feats, theres less and less focus on simply 'winning' a dungeon with one proven strat and moving on.

This is a GOOD THING. the devs have made a game where OP classes DON'T MATTER ANY MORE.
Last edited by Bloggorus on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloggorus

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:30 am

Last edited by Bloggorus on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloggorus

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons