[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

All things Desktop Dungeons

Chaos Theory

Postby GoatBot on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Discussion - Chaos Theory
GoatBot

Re: Chaos Theory

Postby Fran on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Most things are subtle but have been demanded for some time now, so great update nontheless. :)
Fran

Postby Abraxas on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Maybe it's the lack of sleep or something, but JJ's second puzzle has thoroughly puzzled. I'm not even getting anywhere near close finishing it.

On another note, starting yet another new profile to test the new quest rewards, but they sound pretty nice already.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Abraxas on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Also, the toasts everywhere when progressing through a new profile feel very, very nice.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm

We're aware that some text is barely readable. Working to fix that now...
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Yeah, something is up with JJ #2.

There's no question you need to reach level 2 in order to defeat the boss. Without reaching level 2, the highest attack damage you can attain is 10, which will require hitting the boss 8 times to win. Even with last chance, you'd need to be able to tank four hits from the boss to pull this off. This means you need 41 HP, which is not possible since there is no way to increase your HP in this puzzle.

So you need to find a way to teleport into the "spectator" area to kill the monsters there and reach level 2. This can be done by trading places with the last imp, getting petition, using LEMMISI to reveal everything, then drinking your potion. You can also head up and grab your shield at this time. You can then teleport in, slaughter the imps, then teleport out with your level-up mana.

Now, from here I'm still stumped. I can attack the boss exactly once before he kills me, after which I can attempt to last chance (no luck) and potentially get another hit. I had to explore everything to reach level 2, so there's no way to heal mid-combat. In any case, to get through that 79 HP titan I'd need to hit him five times in total, which would actually be feasible if I had 1 more max HP and last chance succeeded (mighty hit [18], hit [14], last chance, mighty hit [18], convert BYSSEPS, hit [15], WEYTWUT, hit [15]). However, I can find no way to do either, so I'm lost.

It looks like it might be possible to grab chaos avatar, but to get enough piety you still need to get into the spectator area and slaughter them. The problem is that JJ hits you with corrosion and two layers of curse because you aren't purchasing petition, so I can't find any attack combo that works. Due to corrosion, the imps deal 3 damage a hit when I'm cursed and 1 damage per hit when I'm not, so I really can't afford to fight through more than one layer of curse. There may well be some obscure attack ordering that works here, but I can't seem to figure it out. If this is the intended solution, I'd strongly advise the devs to rework the puzzle because victory and defeat hinges on abusing foreknowledge regarding the random seed.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Fran

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Woah! These puzzles are confusing (no pun intended)!

I wish they had a middle puzzle rather than just the intro and the end. Something like when he shattered or why he shattered.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Picotrain on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm glad to hear that interface changes are coming soon. It seems that the last umpteen updates have been primarily balancing, and I honestly care very little about that because those changes are relatively easy to implement. I am eager to see new map and kingdom screens. :)
Picotrain

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 pm

If I had one more hp I could win the second one. ONE MORE! Actually, there are two ways which leave you one short. The one Darvin showed and the one that I tried.
1. Swap with visible monster.
2. Double LEMISI. (Gain curse, poison, and corrosion)
3. Kill Imp. (Gain Weakening)
4. Convert LEMISI and pick up shield.
5. Drink potion and swap with any spectating imp.
6. Convert BYCEPS and kill imp one. (Cursed)
7. Kill imp two (curse removed)
8. Kill imp three (weakened)
9. Lose to imp four.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons