[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Vicious Dungeon Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 pm

So I'm at the point where the main things I have to do in the game is start taking on the Vicious level dungeons, and I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed. I think I've gotten at least okay at the game, but feel like there have to be some major strategies I'm missing out on, because I don't really feel like I know how to beat any of them. The closest I've come was getting to the Matron in DI with no resources left, but other than that not much progress has been made.
What are some of the strategies commonly used?

EDIT: Thanks to a barbarian Taurog run, I was able to beat the Matron, but I don't feel like I understand how to do it WITHOUT a barbarian, either. Which I guess says to me I don't have the knowledge I need?
JaggerMcDagger

Re: Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:36 pm

One trick with the Matron is using LEMMISI to reveal her position (or that of her last guard) and then using WEYTWUT to swap places and bypass all the fighting needed to get to her. Another approach is to use the Assassin to swift hands your way through her guards.

For both Namtar's Lair and the Demonic Library, your go-to class is the Warlord. Both of these dungeons are pretty nasty in their current state, though. In Naga City, the trick is a guy called Tikki Tooki :-)

Generally speaking, vicious runs are designed for people who want a playground for the most powerful and awe-inspiring characters you can possibly build. The challenges are downright nuts, but it'd be a little bit of a letdown if you beat them and realized that there's almost nothing "one step higher".
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Well, there's always Vicious GT, but as out friend Lujo has shown, even that's doable with enough practice.

With a Gnomish Warlord of Mystera, you should be able to get Mystic Balance and Refreshment. If you buy elven boots or a pendant and take a hit of magic, one glyph = one CYDSTEPP. Since gnomes have no reason to convert immediately you should save the glyphs. Also, save BURNDAYRAZ to pick off their death protections. The Avatar himself isn't too much of a problem, seeing as you'll have a considerable amount of Mana Potions left (assuming you used glyphs to take out the demonlords).

Lastly, have you beaten all the complicated tasks? The last few potions (especially Schadenfreude and a certain dangerous can we cannot discuss on the forums) are a MASSIVE help.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Or 16 mana with Mystic Balance...

I know about WHUPAZ. No one, I repeat NO ONE ever directly states what it does.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 pm

If you have Mystic Balance, then the real honeypot is 24 mana, but that's hard to do if you're not an Elf or JJ worshipper.
Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:53 pm

I tried to post its stats last week. My browser immediately went unresponsive and I'm pretty my post is what caused the server crash and data loss.
Sidestepper

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:56 pm

So the only two real quests I don't have completed that unlock things, as far as I know, are the 3rd level shop quest, which I've actually done like 3 times without anything changing, and the 3rd level alchemy quest. So I do have Whupaz at least. Maybe I'm approaching things wrong, however. As a level 1, should I be able to kill level 3s, or only level 2s?
JaggerMcDagger

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:01 pm

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Depends on the strategy. I usually end up killing 3's, but only if it is an "easy" 3 (like an imp) or if a boon makes it easy (excessive absolution, Taurog's Sword and Shield).

One more thing: As a gnome if you can hit 20 with Mystic Balance you get 8 per potion. That's easily another 8 CYDSTEPPs.

There is no alchemist 3.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons