Vicious Dungeon Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Postby Leotamer on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Anyone know a good way to farm gold for Vicious dungeons? For hard dungeons I normally just be a Goblin Tinker with no Preps, loot as much as a can, this works great for hard dungeons, not so good for Viscous.
Leotamer

Postby Blovski on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:02 pm

I think it's safe to say that farming gold doesn't really work on vicious. Arguably in Naga City you can make quite a lot of cash, but since you get locked down there unless you win, it's invariably better to go on an easier dungeon with flames/betonboss or PQI.
Blovski

Postby Leotamer on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 pm

no, I mean gold farm so that you can afford to get the preps for Vicious. I guess I did word that abit funny. PQI often just gives me a bad combo, or something am bad at, though Betonboss isn't horrible, but am not sure if it is any better then just my Goblin Tinker this late in the game.
Leotamer

Postby Blovski on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Ah right - my bad - betonboss and/or Tikki Tooki might beat no preps if you're finishing dungeons, tinkers (halflings and gnomes can get you more gold than goblins, if you take the potions out) work, as do thieves and more or less anyone without a big prep requirement. In general interspersing vicious with a few hards/easier PQIs is the way I did it.
Blovski

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:30 pm

You can squeeze a little bit more out by using gnomes or halflings. You can also prep TT, but making that cash positive requires enough work that you might as well just finish the dungeon.

Also, Bet on Boss is lousy unless you are playing a burning dungeon. You don't bet 50 gold, you actually pay 50 gold. So winning a 150 coin trophy only nets you an extra 25 gold with BoB, and with a considerable risk attached. In burning dungeons, the profit becomes 175, which is okay if you are confident that you can win in one try.

EDIT: As for VHoS, Berserker is definitely the one to start with. The loss of the Orb of Lusory really makes this harder than the old scenario and the Berserker neatly simulates the advantage that it used to give you. Avatar's advice is solid, although don't feel that you need to scum for Yendor. A Berserker with a few Taurog boons can straight up murder Warlocks, AAs, and Wraiths, and you can usually hit level 6 pretty efficiently. Watch your inventory space, and have an eye towards buying things that you wan to convert BEFORE buying things that you want to keep. You'll want the fireball glyph to get things started with Indomitable, but you don't really want it before or after, so avoid picking it up until you need it and make sure you've got an open slot for it when you do.
Last edited by Sidestepper on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidestepper

Postby Leotamer on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Halfing/Gnome tinkers, I can see being pretty good and I need to try them. Though, on thing you have to keep in mind is that Golbin tinkers have a bit more stable income as they don't need to rely on Glyphs, and can normally get to better guarded subdungeons easier. but, like I said, I need to try it first with some differant dungeons.
Leotamer

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:29 pm

I agree on Yendor. I recommend it as a nice newbie crutch for people who are still perfecting their skill of efficient leveling.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Leotamer on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:34 pm

I don't even know what Yendor is.. Also, it seems like I can level quite easy as Bersker, but once I get to Indomaitble, I can barely get him down to half his death protections.
Leotamer

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 am

Once you bring his damage down, he's a pussy cat. The hard part is the beginning. Crater all of your renewable resources into him at level 6, then ding. Finish his DP's with Fireball + burning whenever you can at the beginning. Eventually, his damage will be so low that it stops being worth the piety and you can just bum rush him. Swig your burn salve at around 25 DPs to keep the damage under control.
Sidestepper

Postby Leotamer on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 am

The first run am doing is Bersker, am doing Sorceror nexted. Ironicly I believe I am basing my preps on yours (though, I don't have as nearly as much unlocked)

Edit- Beat it as Bersker, now I got to do it to more times, oh fun.
Leotamer

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons