[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Vicious Dungeon Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:02 am

Sweet! Since berserker is usually the obvious first choice for people this will help them nearly have their vamp.

Paladin works surprisingly well in VHoS. I used Binlor to get 60 magic res at level 1 (had elven boots so only 45% from Binlor). Then I just went on a rampage.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Leotamer on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 am

With race did you go for? I was thinking Dwarf to be able to tank AAs, but Orcs/Humans might be better overall.

Also, a quick question about gold farming, do you get more gold for items, or just loose gold not spent. I run out of money again.
Leotamer

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:32 pm

For Berserker you almost always want orc. You won't need health to tank the AAs because you'll have 65% magic resistance between being a Berserker and following Taurog. Orcish damage will give you more long term benefits from regen fighting.

I think that a dwarven paladin of Glowing Guardian could work, a la Blovski's 'Healthmonster.' I think I'll give that a go.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:06 pm

Orc berserker, less glyphs. That way, if you convert a mana potion with every glyph you get 2 conversion levels!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:25 pm

No. You get a whupaz hit and then a normal retaliation. I think elf with less glyphs is best for Paladin, as damage isn't that great due to The Indomitable. Halfling priest with alch scroll and conversion out of Binlor is definately a third. Gorgon works because death gaze takes off 2 DPs.

The Avatar

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 pm

So you guys mention that I should use TT on naga city. Should I use rogue so I can automatically kill things without damage and piety loss?

Also, The Avatar, please tell me more about how you did all the awesome stuff, even if you used broken strategies earlier. Like I find it so hard to imagine a purist run of a vicious dungeon, or using certain classes to do them, like using a monk on halls of steel, or DI, or any place with heavy magic damage.
JaggerMcDagger

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah, Elf Paladin of Binlor is the way to go. Prep Bacemace and shamelessly use it plus PISORF to gt 50-60 MR at first level. Use Stone Skin because it uses less walls, and don't worry about wasting the the actual stoneskin effect. There aren't any physical monsters you want to fight anyway. Even if you use half the map to reach high MR, it's worth it. The elf gives you enough burst power to get started on harder monsters, and the MR lets you finish the job. Take Stone Fist once your MR is capped. From there you can either convert the Bacemace or keep it for massive knockback. With the walls all Binlor-ed down, it is easy to set up monsters however you want. I made sure to position Indomitable next to a Golem-8, totally demolishing its hit points. I picked it off once I had resources to spare, and then pushed Indomitable towards a Warlock-9 and did it again.

Prep Dragonshield if you have it or Elven Boots if you don't (I used the boots and it worked fine). Compression seal is probably better than translocation because of the Bearmace, PISORF, HALPMEH, and Elven Boots. If you're still having trouble and have a lot of gold, just prep extra altar and scum for Binlor. On average it will take about 8 tries to get Binlor near your starting location, and less if you are willing to explore a bit.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:30 pm

Okay, here's a quick summary.

Namtar: Binlor for 60% magic res immediately. Take out high level magic guys. Convert into GG or Drac for healing v the first two forms.

Naga City: You used to get altars above ground and free below ground. Take Drac for resists. Convert into GG for resists (he used to give 10% all). Prep dragon shield. Take TT for poison. Convert into Taurog for less punishment and to use potions, then GG and Drac for healing.

Dragon Isles: See Namtar. The guards were tackled by ENDISWALLing to avoid the first two, then slayer wand, then GG's cleansing. Fight the elites normally.

Demonic Library: This used to be MUCH easier. All the bosses but the counter fireball one had 222 and they didn't get DP's. Use Crystal Ball and elf to fireball EVERYTHING (except counter fireball guys). With MA for refreshment and 5 mp fireballs you could take out an easy 222 guys (like the curse guy) at level 4-5. Whupaz the counter fireball guy. A conversion in from Binlor will also help considerably and is recommended.

Basically if there is one theme it is BINLOR ROCKS! (Sorry, bad pun.)

There are so many magic monsters and bosses that 60 (or 45 after the nerf) magic res and 25-50 piety on your main god is MASSIVE at level 1.

The Avatar

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:16 pm

See, I think that is kind of ironic, because in theory binlor DOESN'T rock. (HEYOOOOOOOO).

Seriously though, I want to hear some good stories of the nearly impossible challenges, Avatar. Like how would you go about getting faithless, or some really hard class runs.

Since we are on the topic of really hard things as well, can I make a dungeon run request, Avatar? Can you do shifting passage/ the labyrinth with EM?
JaggerMcDagger

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons