Vicious Dungeon Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 am

It's not that bad once you get the hang of it! Also, The Indomitable is basically a joke once his damage is down. So as a sorcerer use fireballs to get his damage to almost nothing and then wreck his DPs with your mana shield. Just remember REGEN FIGHTING.

Edit: Yendor is an Elite Item (unlocked by Bazaar 3). It grants 50 experience and destroys itself upon clicking it.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Leotamer on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 am

Well, the problem is most of the classes you need to beat Vhos have completely differant playstyles.

Also, what is a good class for NT and do I get any thing for beating it?
Leotamer

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:52 am

NT? Do you mean NC? For NC you any good hybrid class. Actually, just about every class can work in there. The key is the gods. If you get Poison ASAP and then convert out for res stacking and percent based healing you should be fine.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Leotamer on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:37 am

No, I mean Namtar's Lair. I been thinking about Berseker as he isn't really hurt all that badly by posion or mana burn. Maybe Crusader just to scout a bit more and maybe get lucky.
Leotamer

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 am

They key strategy with Namtar's lair is a Binlor into any magic res giving god combo (preferably GG). That way you can have 50% or so magic res easily.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:33 am

Leotamer wrote:No, I mean Namtar's Lair. I been thinking about Berseker as he isn't really hurt all that badly by posion or mana burn. Maybe Crusader just to scout a bit more and maybe get lucky.

I've personally taken a Crusader through the lair, it's a solid choice but you'll have to build well around that class. For a physical specialty approach, I recommend RBS. Proceed carefully. Don't obsess about preserving popcorn, the level's structure de-emphasises its use slightly.

That said, I'm not implying that this is the simplest character with which to take Namtar down -- just the one that I managed to wrangle on the most recent balancing of the scenario.
Nandrew

Postby Blovski on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Sidestepper wrote:You can squeeze a little bit more out by using gnomes or halflings. You can also prep TT, but making that cash positive requires enough work that you might as well just finish the dungeon.

Also, Bet on Boss is lousy unless you are playing a burning dungeon. You don't bet 50 gold, you actually pay 50 gold. So winning a 150 coin trophy only nets you an extra 25 gold with BoB, and with a considerable risk attached. In burning dungeons, the profit becomes 175, which is okay if you are confident that you can win in one try.

EDIT: As for VHoS, Berserker is definitely the one to start with. The loss of the Orb of Lusory really makes this harder than the old scenario and the Berserker neatly simulates the advantage that it used to give you. Avatar's advice is solid, although don't feel that you need to scum for Yendor. A Berserker with a few Taurog boons can straight up murder Warlocks, AAs, and Wraiths, and you can usually hit level 6 pretty efficiently. Watch your inventory space, and have an eye towards buying things that you wan to convert BEFORE buying things that you want to keep. You'll want the fireball glyph to get things started with Indomitable, but you don't really want it before or after, so avoid picking it up until you need it and make sure you've got an open slot for it when you do.

Bet on boss prep cost is 5.
Blovski

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Whoa, when did that happen? That's a huge change. I guess that they decided that the opportunity cost of BoB was already enough of a penalty.

I wish I had noticed this earlier. This could completely change my strategy for developing new kingdoms. At the beginning, trophies are worth 300 gold. With BoB only costing 5 coins, it suddenly becomes a stellar vehicle for jumpstarting your infrastructure.
Sidestepper

Postby Blovski on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 pm

They cut a lot of prep costs two or three updates back, I think.

Half-Dragon on Dragon Isles is an utterly terrible combination. I think I'll need weytwut and lemissi combo to wing that one.
Blovski

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:26 am

I just made a very detailed playthrough of VHoS with the Sorcerer. Check the stickied thread.
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons