[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Should the player be able to die?

Should the player be able to die?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Should the player be able to die?

Postby Leotamer on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:34 pm

And to be honest, I don't really care to much myself. Just food for thought, and I get bored from time to time.
Leotamer

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 am

Honestly, if you are playing a dungeon so close to the line that a single misclick will ruin your run, you have to either slow down or try a different tack.

I mis-click all the time but it rarely causes instadeath, just a setback and reminder to respect the difficulty of the game.

This game, despite it's trappings as an RPG and casual game, is a very deep and complicated puzzler. If you get yourself into a position where a win requires perfect play, you should be slowing down.

Over-confidence and haste in any puzzler is going to cause mistakes.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 am

Still, I shouldn't have to take an extra 5 minutes (total) on clicking because some level 9 jerk spawned next to my altar.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:05 am

I suspect that much of the disagreement here is due to players using different input methods. Someone who plays on a touchpad (like me) will likely experience far more misclicks due to the inherent inaccuracy of the device than someone else who plays with a mouse. Particularly since one of the goals of the devs is to release DD on pads and phones, it makes sense (to me) that pixel perfect precision is something to be avoided, not required.

But in any event, yes, DD is basically a puzzler. It's not a platformer, or an FPS, or a rhythm game, etc. As such, I have a hard time understanding the argument that misclicks are part of its "difficulty." There's a big difference between mistakenly thinking you can take out that level 8 Gorgon without using any potions, and accidentally clicking on that level 8 Gorgon when you meant to visit the shop right next to it. Devising a successful strategy and efficiently using your available resources is where DD's difficulty (is supposed to) come from, not hand-eye coordination.
q 3

Postby Aequitas on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 am

Aequitas
Site Admin

Postby fall_ark on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:19 pm

fall_ark

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons