[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - A surprising monster ommission

A surprising monster ommission

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: A surprising monster ommission

Postby Nandrew on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 am

Nandrew

Postby gjaustin on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 pm

If you've misplaced your old discs, I believe they're available on GOG.com.
gjaustin

Postby Nandrew on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 pm

That's good to hear, would be hell otherwise trying to find a version with voice / patches / support. I think I left a lot of my older game discs back at my family home on the other side of the country, so there's no impulsively picking those up. :P

--

I would actually love to include more exotics in DD, although that said, part of DD's (original) thematic strength was its dependence on "classic fantasy" tropes and easily recognised monster brands, since as a whole it has always made a point of being a "genre tribute" chock-full of deliberate nods to other games (some more obvious than others).

Extended dungeons occasionally go into more exoticisms and subversions because it has been fun to experiment, and maybe I should have been more liberal with "unconventional" monster types overall.

I would be keen to see more Slavic lore / references in future content. It's under-explored and very fun. I also think that extra South(ern) African lore would be good, always feel a bit guilty that we've maybe under-represented that (no misguided patriotism, mind, it's just that we're naturally in a much better position to understand and utilise that niche and there's a lot of interesting stuff there).

Also Norse stuff. Though that's not strictly underdone, it's just something that I really like.

Oh, and maybe I should've mentioned this earlier: yep, spiders are the one. Not only are DD's (rumoured) giant spiders all gone, but it's implied that common household-variety spiders are themselves just made-up stories. Spiders in this world are considered a niche curiosity that's explicitly pointed out by lore, whereas the omission of many other creatures (skeletons, ogres, dungeon yaks) are a simple matter of content limits rather than any explicit statement of their (non)existence.
Nandrew

Postby Nandrew on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Also, each regional direction is supposed to roughly correspond to a particular lore set, though by now it has become such a ridiculous hodge-podge that it's quite difficult to claim any particular inspiration. The West alone had a weird Gallo-Celtic hybrid intent overall, but rather surprisingly includes a Greek labyrinth in the middle of nowhere and a particularly confused Havendale Bridge (aside from the obvious references, Zin Kibaru is also a West African cultural draw).

I think the most bizarre reference has to be the nod to Egypt's Anubis in the frigid East though -- especially since there's a perfectly servicable Egyptian theme already hanging around in the North!

I like to think that we can excuse this cultural melting pot as us just being young and South African. Post-apartheid urban society is extremely cosmopolitan, so why not just mash everyone's stories together, too? :P
Nandrew

Postby Darvin on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons