A surprising monster ommission

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: A surprising monster ommission

Postby fall_ark on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 am

There's also a surprising lack of (were)wolves and bears. :P

Good thing we don't have bats though. I shudder at the thought of an enemy having dodge...
fall_ark

Postby The Avatar on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:11 am

Oh god. That'd be AWFUL. Also, there's Ents (or some form of evil tree), SPIDERS (in a ton of fantasy games), and wargs. Mummies to, perhaps?
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:49 am

I'm actually glad there's no spiders and bats - theyre the biggest fantasy cliche ever, as can be withnessed by "Goddamned bats" and "demonic spiders" TV tropes pages. The words "bat" and "spider" lost all meaning and are labels for specific types of monsters.

The roster is a bit unortodox, but seenig how popular goats are that seems to be a good thing. I actually discovered Super Meat Boy after Desktop Dungeons, so the Meat Men felt really weird when I first saw them ^^
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:07 am

The Rusalka and Succubus DD monsters are surprisingly ugly because they're palette swaps of the Medusa.
TigerKnee

Postby gjaustin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Nandrew wrote:Lore! Fun!

First came across a Rusalka in Quest For Glory IV. That series always had really cool lore references.

Me too! I still name all my Paladins in game Piotyr, because he's awesome.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm

First came across a Rusalka in Quest For Glory IV. That series always had really cool lore references

I never could get the 4th game in the series to work...
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Darvin wrote:
First came across a Rusalka in Quest For Glory IV. That series always had really cool lore references

I never could get the 4th game in the series to work...

It has some of the most hilarious bugs of all time. Especially the one where the timer until the final boss kills you keeps running during his death animation. If it runs out he'll immediately resurrect and kill you.

And the best part is that the animation is based on real-time, but the death timer is clock cycles! By the time the game released, there were already computer with fast enough processors to make it impossible!

It's playable now with DosBox, as long as you're willing to accept a crash every 15-30 minutes. It's worth it though, since it's the best game in the series, even with the bugs.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:16 pm

It has some of the most hilarious bugs of all time.

Less then hilarious when the same bug would kill my game at the same place ~10 minutes in every time...

On the main topic of this thread, I'm wondering if we're going to see Spiders show up in some fashion given some of the subdungeons appearing.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Freaking spider temple. Spiders could be a DLC thing. A cool effect would be slowing your next hit when your "webbed".
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Slowing the player is definitely an under-used effect. Easily cured by smacking a meat-man, though, so I'm not sure just how dangerous it'd be in the general-case.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons