[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Final dungeon/quest balance tweaks

Final dungeon/quest balance tweaks

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Final dungeon/quest balance tweaks

Postby fall_ark on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:28 pm

fall_ark

Postby Leotamer on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Curse Oasis is completely borken by use of Crusader. I am just disappointed I get nothing from it.
Same with some other dungeons, what point do they serve just being their?
Leotamer

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Cursed Oasis was actually created for a specific reason: in order to unlock the Gaan-Telet dungeon you need one of every type of trophy, including a Dragon Scale. However, there is no other dungeon with a preset boss that drops a Dragon Scale, and the Dragonspawn boss will not start to randomly appear until you unlock the Paladin. This created the weird issue that you effectively needed to unlock the Paladin to unlock Gaan-Telet, which is impossible to figure out until you've already beaten the game at least once. This basically demands players find a FAQ to finish the game. As a result, Cursed Oasis was created at the last minute to provide a dungeon with a dragon boss to fulfill the requirement to access Gaan-Telet without necessitating the Paladin unlock.

Because it was introduced so late in development, the Oasis isn't directly connected with any of the story arcs or quest lines. Just enjoy it for what it is: a diversion that you need to defeat at least once to win the game.

Do agree with you that the Crusader breaks it somewhat.
Darvin

Postby Leotamer on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Oh, I guess that explains it. I was a big fan of paladin anyways, so I got my dragonscale before the Oasis. Also, the game doesn't really make it clear that you need all the trophies anyways. I need to get on these forums to learn that I need to beat Rex last. But that is a story for another thread.
Leotamer

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Darvin

Postby harfatum on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I really liked having to figure out you need to beat Rex last, but I suppose there could be a hint if the player seemed to be stuck.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Leotamer on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Beating Rex last was pretty fun, I guess had no I had to do it to win. Their was also something triggered by beating the easy dungeon with a Golbin. (Though, I am not sure if that last one is a place holder.)
Leotamer

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Yeah, I don't have any problem with the challenge, either. It's figuring it out that's the issue and making sure there's enough indication in-game that players know what they need to do.
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Maybe give Rex a death quote if you kill him first (and haven't gotten the ring yet)? He could taunt you about it. "You think killing me first will solve your problems? Your haste will be your doom."

I don't recall the exact words, but I thought the notice you get when trying to enter the (hard) Tower without all the trophies made it relatively clear what you need to do (although I already knew in advance, of course). However, I did spend an awful long time wondering what I needed to do to just to get to the Tower in the first place. I take it there's just some random counter for how many dungeons you've cleared that you need to wind down to zero? A hint about that might be nice - e.g., maybe someone can advise you regarding the economic crisis that you're likely to get another lead on your nemesis if you just clear X more dungeons. Or if there are certain dungeons you need to clear, a hint about that would also be appreciated. The whole thing could even be turned into one long quest, or several linked quests, telling you explicitly or vaguely what your next goal is.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 pm

While cursed oasis doesn't fit into the story arc, neither does Berserker Camp, Slime Pits, or Magma Mines.

I think VHoS should be removed. It makes the east have more dungeons (and more Vicious) than everybody else, and it just seems out of place.

There is a little advisor box on the Kingdom screen. It's really underused and some of it's text is completely wrong now, but they could use that to help you.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons