Any sign of a release date?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Any sign of a release date?

Postby mrspoon1259 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:57 am

I have been checking the site about once a month and haven't really seen any sign of a release in sight.

I went into my e-mail and found my pre-order e-mail from 08/01/11. Its been over a year in beta. As a customer I was wanting to know when I could see a finished product.
mrspoon1259

Re: Any sign of a release date?

Postby fall_ark on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Are you not entertained by the beta though? New changes every week. Exploits and shenanigans before they were swiftly changed again a few days later. I mean, that's some wonderous stuff right there.
fall_ark

Postby Darvin on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 pm

I can understand some people wanting a finished product rather than the shifting work-in-progress that is the beta. The forum is dominated by people who enjoy the involvement with the community and developers and love the beta process, but there are plenty of others who are inclined otherwise.

While there have been no formal statements from the devs, the indication is that the game is getting close to final release.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Alternatively to this timespace continuum, the dev's could release the game with a "Beta mode" which changed the numbers on stuff every week on it's own, rotating between a bunch of "versions". With a cryptic changelog and everything.
Lujo

Postby booooooze on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 pm

fall_ark wrote:Are you not entertained by the beta though? New changes every week. Exploits and shenanigans before they were swiftly changed again a few days later. I mean, that's some wonderous stuff right there.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!? :lol: :lol:
booooooze

Postby dislekcia on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:41 pm

mrspoon1259 wrote:I have been checking the site about once a month and haven't really seen any sign of a release in sight.

I went into my e-mail and found my pre-order e-mail from 08/01/11. Its been over a year in beta. As a customer I was wanting to know when I could see a finished product.

We used to try and talk about release dates. Then we learned that our forecasting was pretty terrible... That and the game has continued to just get better and better as we keep working on it. We wouldn't have had DannyB and Grant Kirkhope doing our music if we'd been super strict about the first date we gave ourselves internally for release. We wouldn't have most of the art we do now, etc.

It's a hard line to tread and we know that there are a lot of people out there that want the full game out yesterday. We've stopped adding new content now and are just polishing and polishing. Of course, I say "just" when it's actually way more work than simply doing the numbers for a new boss or dungeon, but that's how development goes. We're all watching each other to make sure we keep moving towards the game's "final state" as we see it.

Beyond that, I'm afraid that all I can say is "we're getting there". But at least you can see how we're coming along. I hope that helps :)
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:43 pm

We wouldn't have most of the art we do now, etc.

Speaking of which, are there any plans regarding the palette swap items? It's particularly egregious with the Vampiric Blade / Really Big Sword and the Dragon Shield / Shield, which differ quite subtly.
Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 am

Darvin wrote:
We wouldn't have most of the art we do now, etc.

Speaking of which, are there any plans regarding the palette swap items? It's particularly egregious with the Vampiric Blade / Really Big Sword and the Dragon Shield / Shield, which differ quite subtly.

There's still some "spare" item artwork lying around that I know of, so the more confusing palette swaps can be taken out in the polishing process.
Nandrew

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:39 pm

As long as we're talking about icons, some of the preparation icons are very dim, to the point where I thought that they were greyed out and inactive the first time I saw them. Smuggler's Den is like that, along with a few others. You could really use some color there, they look totally different from the other icons.

Also, the Witch still needs art attached to her in-dungeon sprite.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Also, the Witch still needs art attached to her in-dungeon sprite.

I always thought her lack of in-game representation was due to her standing squarely where the 4th wall be.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons