[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Some Thoughts on Deities

Some Thoughts on Deities

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Some Thoughts on Deities

Postby booooooze on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:10 am

booooooze

Postby Darvin on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 am

For me, I use Pactmaker quite frequently. Body Pact, Warrior's Pact, Scholar's Pact, and Consensus all get fairly frequent use. Dracul I use all the time in the end-game, but I rarely use him before then. Tikki Tooki is a great deity and I use him plenty, but probably not quite as much as you guys. I love working with GG, obviously favouring him earlier if possible, but also converting in late for last-minute protections after potion use. Earthmother I mostly use as a piety farm, but her boons are priced well so I usually pick up a few levels of each. Binlor is a great early-mid game god, and at very least his free glyph lets you access subdungeons which is nice, but I don't use him quite so much anymore. Jehora is great if you can really churn out the piety, but that's iffy if you don't find him early or have a piety farm or desecration victim handy. Mystera is a fine deity, though without refreshment opportunities she's kinda barren as a late-game choice.

My least-used god is Taurog. Never been a fan of him, though I still use him for resist stacking and piety farming, and I do know when going for unstoppable fury is a viable approach to my end-game. Still my least-used god by a significant margin.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:34 am

Blovski

Postby Lujo on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 am

Well, here's me again.

Pactmaker - I've been over this, when it's all said and done it's probably me rather than him, now that consensus has been tweaked. Never developed a habit I guess.

EM - I always liked her, I think her clearance is outstanding atm, and the cheap stuff is worth a few shots. The big problem was, as was noted, that she is a free desecration, and getting rid of her penalty also gets you rid of MW penalty, and that's too big to pass up. If her desecration penalty was changed more people would see that she's actually a really good god.

Mysterea - refreshment is one of the strongest things in the game, mystic balance so so. The weakening boon is as expensive as it is because it's in fact stupidly strong where it's applicable - now that I've tried it out, being able to take away a bosses magic resistance is huge for any spellcaster. I guess Mysterea is one of those things which are actually rather above curve, but I never feel like ranting about. I think she only pales in comparison with Drac and TT and thats no measure for anything. To reiterate - refreshment is off the charts in terms of power, unbelievably strong boon. I can't tell why noone else noticed this or voiced it publicly, but it alone makes any prep competing with "extra glyph" a loser.

JJ - no clue, never was good with him. I did use him a lot, and he never screwed me over, so I only saw 2 things about him - 1) he always felt like pure upside to me and 2) all his upside rarely contributed to much because I'm not prone to things which could exploit his boons. EDIT: also, I was arguing he was too generous about piety gain.

Binlor - I mostly avoided him, experimented a bit back when prepping him was busted, got bored. I find him a good source of Refreshment Glyphs for mysterea (as well as Refreshment piety so I can convert to whatever the 3rd guy is sooner). His piety gain method leaves his piety spike problematic, although the spike itself is well concieved. Suffice to say that I wasn't even aware he HAD a piety spike until very recently, that's how much I've only used him as a piety farm.

GG - for a very long time I hated his guts, then I let myself go and pigged out on his overpowerdness, then campaigned to make him less monstrous, and now I use him as a nice mid-range piety farm. I very rarely go dedicated or actually use any of his boons apart from Humility (-1 level). Very rarely if ever use him for an end game piety spike through heals. Except when I take and Elf Fighter and go on a manamonster rampage. I guess that he just doesn't synergize with my usual routines, as opposed to the way he used to boost anything through the roof. And I got utterly sick and tired of him during that phase.

Taurog - he always was good, but is so self contained and single minded that even if I know I can do something with him it doesn't mean anything to me. He has his own DP spike and ridiculous piety farm, and I pick him up quite a bit just for that. As was stated a couple of times he's designed to be like an "alternate mode" guy, and I guess he's where he should be ATM. Probably. No point discussing.

Drac - Broken Ole Drac, what can I say. "Bloodswell" is a theory term. For various endgames nothing comes close, anyone can do the math on it, and so on and so forth. So much brokeness and brokeness enablers in one place, but if its intended then I don't mind. When he lost spellcaster support it made his current first boon rather pointless, I wouldn't mind seeing it changed. No point discussing.

TT - guy has a boon that'd make a sweet cheat code, on top of everything else. At least you don't get handed money for taking it and can't be unlocked first thing you do in a playthrough. He's a resource management and utility overload, but it's all good. I could write a book on him, and probably allready have. I guess he's another obviously overpowered thing I consistently turn a blind eye to, except that one episode. No point discussing.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Shrug on Refreshment. I recognize that it's pretty good but... well... glyph balance is actually good enough now that my inventory is generally locked up with all the glyphs I'm carrying around AND actually want to use. Since MB costs 60 and Refreshment costs 50 it does feel a bit straining on the piety even though she's a free piety farm.
TigerKnee

Postby Lujo on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Only if you actually have a use for Mystic Balace. And you can convert the Glyphs off the ground. What use is there for Mystic balance right now? Makes CYDSTEPP cheaper? Not worthe 60 piety. Makes Burndayraz cheaper? By one point and a good Refreshment lets you cast more of them anyway, for less piety. Makes Apheelsick cheaper? There's one thing. Halpmeh stayes the same, Wheytwut's utility anyway, so is IMAWAL, Endiswall is insignificantly cheaper.

On top of all of thet it makes GETINDARE cost 5 (akin to shooting yourself in the foot) and doubles the price of BYCEPPS (even more so).

So these days I'm not taking Mystic balance anymore, especially since I don't use APHEELSICK at all most of the time (which might be a mistake on my part). Refreshment gets me a free piety pike from a deity I don't have to be worshiping while it's going on. I can swap to EM for even more ridiculous asspull mana.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

I don't feel TT is that broken. Unless you're seriously saving endgame blackspace poison isn't to great. Of course, when you have loads of blackspace, GT, NC and monks in general, it's incredibly powerful.

I love Drac. The difference between a Drac game and a non-Drac game is so huge it's almost funny. My resource pool feels like a puddle without him or an ocean with him. If you start with him, you can get 2 levels of blood tithe right before the boss. If you take blood curse and have ten leftover piety that's 7 bloodpools from another blood tithe. By the time you have three you'll get so much piety it's another 2-4 (depending on dungeon and desecrations) blood swells on top of that.

I love refreshment and Mystic Balance for gnome warlords. If you prep the boots, get refreshment and balance you have (with less glyphs) 4-5 more CYDSTEPPs, plus 7-8 potions which means another 5-6 CYDSTEPPs. Add in your starting 3 (precast and 16 mana) That's a total of 12-14 CYDSTEPPs. Easily enough for hard AND some Vicious. It would probably also be good for a mana monster spike, but I've never tried it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 pm

True on all counts. (TTs natural bustyness comes from flexibility. It's not just poison he provides ^^ But he's fine I guess).

Mystic balance actually only really works for Warlords and Assasins, which is probably a source of "Assassins are the best spellcasting class" meme that I totaly missed out on seeing how I don't have a habit of using APHEELSICK at all. Assassins aren't necessarily the best spellcasters (well they do DING! easily) but one of the very few guys who get anything out of Mystic Balance reliably.

It messes up PISSORF and doesn't give enough to BURNDAYRAZ without APHEELSICK.

Refreshment on the other hand is universally really really good.
Lujo

Postby q 3 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 pm

q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 pm

TigerKnee

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons