[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - A progression issue?

A progression issue?

All things Desktop Dungeons

A progression issue?

Postby The Avatar on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:07 pm

I don't think class challenges should be available during the tutorial dungeons (I mean Vince's Vault, Thousand Cuts, and The BAAdlands), as it allows you to immediately unlock all the classes by completing their bronze challenges. Then thief silver is immediately available, so a player could have the balanced dagger before he has even gotten past these tutorials. I think they should be unlocked when you unlock the real dungeons.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Think they should be moved to a different place?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: A progression issue?

Postby Darvin on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Ack! I meant the base classes! The bronze challenges give you 150 gold, which is the cost to upgrade the 4 guilds to level 1.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:28 am

Isn't it just an alternative way to get started?

You have to use guards in the tutorials anyways, so you can unlock whatever you like ahead of time and only access them when you hit dungeons.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 am

What do you mean? How can you unlock stuff ahead of time with the guard?

Even if bronze is available, it seems messed up that you can beat thief silver or gold before Sir Digby.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:36 am

I don't see the problem. You can't get the locker or shops at that point, so you won't be able to use any quest items in those dungeons (not that it would make much difference if you could). And you could unlock all the first tier classes anyway if you were willing to grind one of the dungeons repeatedly. (Heck, before the gold cap and the inflated building costs, I unlocked Rogue and/or Sorcerer and used them to breeze through the goat dungeons even more easily than usual.) If someone is ignoring the easy-peasy tutorial dungeons in favor of class challenges, they're either a bored vet, in which case who cares if they're sequence breaking, or they're a frustrated newbie, in which case why not give them something different to try out (and possibly learn some more advanced strategies that will help them get past the tutorials and into the main game).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:56 pm

I just don't like giving players access to an item before they even know the game has items. Maybe they should just gate silvers till you get the bazaar

The Avatar

Postby Fran on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Items are already in the first tutorial.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:39 pm

True, but if some new player gets a message that their reward was some new item that and they can't figure out how to use, access, or get it it could be very frustrating.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:04 pm

In that case, it seems like it would be easier just to have a special message saying "you can use this item later on, once you unlock the level two guild or bazaar - so quit dallying and go collect some goat horns!"
q 3

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons