[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Roguelike Refinements

Roguelike Refinements

All things Desktop Dungeons

Roguelike Refinements

Postby GoatBot on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:07 pm

GoatBot

Re: Roguelike Refinements

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:32 pm

Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:16 am

It's possible for monsters to spawn in the corner tiles in the new Fighter Gold, which could make progress impossible if you haven't gotten ENDISWAL or PISORF yet.
q 3

Postby Bloggorus on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:27 am

I hope Lujo sees the rogue change, but I can only assume it will be a minor setback, not the solution... :P
Bloggorus

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:52 am

I've seen enemies with JUST that silver of health that would make it a 3 hit kill instead of 2 hit kill. It's a bigger nerf that it looks.

That being said, that high high bonus damage is still conductive for Regen fighting.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:20 am

Rogues definately needed that.

Definately make player slow beat monster slow.

I also second the idea of changing the animation based on the kill type. That would be awesome.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:15 am

Is it just me, or has the probability of elite items appearing in shops increased... like a lot? I've seen Elven Boots for sale three games in a row, and Amulet of Yendor twice in my last five games.
Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:36 am

Nandrew

Postby Darvin on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:31 am

Darvin

Postby Wargasm on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:33 am

I have to agree with several other posters; of the two, WEYTWUT feels underwhelming and GETINDARE rather on the awesome side.

* GETINDARE for lots of non-Wizard classes functions as a partial BURNDAYRAZ substitute; it lets you get a no-retaliation strike in against most monster types. It's already half the cost of BURNDAYRAZ, and further, the dodge chance it offers can save MASSIVE amounts of resources. In fact, it can double as an effective CYDSTEPP against things like Gharbad, where the dodge is equivalent to an extra full health bar - actually outperforming HALPMEH and CYDSTEPP both, since it doesn't leave you at 1hp/require multiple uses to be at full.

* WEYTWUT to me is simply a spell for puzzles/class challenges almost every time. It just costs too much. True, Slow is better than First Strike against things that already have FS or have Retaliate: Fireball. But it's a very rare situation where WEYTWUT does anything another spell doesn't do better; for manoeuvering, ENDISWAL is cheaper and has a fairly solid combat benefit. For combat, the only time WEYTWUT is better than GETINDARE is versus First Strike. Really, this ought to be lowered to 6 or 7 mana, maybe even 5. Outside of things like Thief Silver challenge, or Jehora 2, it's simply not very good.

* While I'm on the topic, WONAFYT is largely terrible. You don't usually want to fight stuff the same level or lower until you're at a point where you one-shot all that stuff anyhow. The Slow debuff has its uses, as above, but that's just about the entire benefit of the spell.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE LOVE LOVE how much these spells (and PISORF) were improved versus the Alpha, especially the last two which were nothing but conversion bait previously, but I still feel there's room for improvement. I basically measure every spell against GETINDARE, HALPMEH, BURNDAYRAZ, and CYDSTEPP (although moreso the Alpha version, grossly overpowered as it was) because these spells are super efficient and almost always useful.
Last edited by Wargasm on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wargasm

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons