Concept Week

All things Desktop Dungeons

Concept Week

Postby GoatBot on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:01 am

Discussion - Concept Week
GoatBot

Re: Concept Week

Postby Darvin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:51 pm

You're certainly right, very little to notice from the front-end.

Things for the codex?

Monsters, their stats, their special abilities, and boss forms
Items, their effects, their cost, their conversion points, their classification (regular/potion/quest/elite/special/artifact)
Glyphs, their mana costs and effects, as well as anything special about them (ie, there's always a fireball glyph)
Deities, their likes, their dislikes, desecration effects, and their boons
Dungeons, their general layout, monster difficulty, monster populations, boss rotations, subdungeon possibilities, and any special surprises they may have
Subdungeons, both regular and hidden varieties, where they can be found, and what is found within them
Classes, and all their wonderful class features
Races, and what their conversion effects do
General Game Rules, general rules for combat, spellcasting, regeneration, shops, altars, and gameplay
Darvin

Postby Fran on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Well, you certainly didn't leave much room for suggestions, Darvin :D
But I can still think of another thing:
I'd like to see some way to reread all the lore I found, as well as the generic quotes from the bosses.

Maybe some tips on how to use the classes on their page, which you unlock by solving their challenges. Something like a profile would be a funny framework:
Class:
Abilties:
Motto:
Dislikes: <something funny and or game mechanic/monster>
Worships often: (tips on easy to use dieties)
Best Possession: (tips on items with good synergy)

Class, abilites and motto would be unlocked by unlocking the class, likes/dislikes by doing bronze, and the tips on dieties/items on silver and gold. Maybe call it Sagebook or something.
Fran

Postby Lujo on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Considering the lore suggestion, if were all such planescape fans, why not have a "journal" page with a scribe attached - wouldn't need any awards and would be a bigass achievement hunt in and off itself.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Maybe some tips on how to use the classes on their page, which you unlock by solving their challenges. Something like a profile would be a funny framework:
Class:
Abilties:
Motto:
Dislikes: <something funny and or game mechanic/monster>
Worships often: (tips on easy to use dieties)
Best Possession: (tips on items with good synergy)

I quite like this. Sort of like a resume for each class.

Class: Assassin
Motto: You do realize I could make your heart stop beating by poking you with my pinky finger, right?
Dislikes: Fair fights
Favorite Race: The skill of the human, the grace of the elf, and the complete moral bankruptcy of the goblin are all incredible assets to a prospective assassin.
Religious Preference: As an assassin I prefer a broad range of deific boons and take a supermarket approach to religion. I prefer to worship deities more open to conversion, such as Mystera Annur, Tikki Tooki, or Binlor Ironshield
Professional Skills: While my skills as a professional murderer often have me associated with cloak and dagger, I'm a surprisingly effective spellcaster.

Class: Paladin
Motto: I am the epitome of righteous justice, and I will smite anyone who suggests otherwise
Dislikes: Haggling with deities. Such annoying ninnies, just stop complaining already!
Favorite Race: While the master race (read: humans) makes up the bulk of our ranks, we are open-minded towards the feeble attempts of lesser beings to emulate our greatness.
Religious Preference: I prefer deities that reward dedication to chase out the riff-raff, so I can have all the benefits to myself. The Glowing Guardian, Tikki Tooki, and Dracul are all excellent selections.
Professional Skills: My combat style is focused on not dying. It's a very effective technique; more adventurers really need to give it a try.

Class: Rogue
Motto: If it's not dead yet, it means you're not hitting hard enough
Dislikes: Taking damage. Like, at all.
Favorite Race: If you go to the seediest bars in town, you'll often witness the heated debates between the dwarves and the orcs as to who makes the best rogue.
Religious Preference: I like deities that offer a good health plan. The Glowing Guardian, the Earthmother, and Jehora Jeheyu are most obliging in that regard.
Professional Skills: I win battles before they've even begun, combining careful planning with talents that other classes can only dream of.
Last edited by Darvin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darvin

Postby Wargasm on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Needs some political incorrectness somewhere. Turn-ons and turn-offs or favourite race jokes or something. Moar funnies, basically. Golden opportunity to slip some in.
Wargasm

Postby Fran on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Those descriptions are good, darwin. Although I originally thought about not going into much detail in the tips section, this is nice as well.

Wargasm wrote:Needs some political incorrectness somewhere. Turn-ons and turn-offs or favourite race jokes or something. Moar funnies, basically. Golden opportunity to slip some in.

Favourite races is something thats definitely missing as well, you're right. Don't know how i was able to forget about the obvious :lol:
Fran

Postby Darvin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Favourite races is something thats definitely missing as well, you're right. Don't know how i was able to forget about the obvious

Good call, added it to my suggestions.

Also:

Class: Monk
Motto: If it's moving, then hit it. If it's still moving, then hit it again.
Likes: Hitting things and generally getting into a slugfest
Dislikes: Monsters that fight dirty or with magic
Favorite Race: It's socially acceptable for a monk to punch people in the face, making this a great way for orcs to join civilized society.
Religious Preference: I like gods who let me hit things, but I recognize that proper discipline can be important. Tikki Tooki, Dracul, and Taurog each offer very different but rewarding benefits to my sacred techniques.
Professional Skills: Did I mention how good I am at hitting things? Repeatedly?

Class: Fighter
Motto: Where there's a will, there's a shortcut
Likes: Shouting a triumphant cry of "ding!" atop a mountain of my broken enemies
Dislikes: Being reminded that I lack actual class features that make me stronger in combat
Favourite Race: We fighters are an eclectic group, and you'll find just about every race represented in our guild hall. That doesn't exactly mean we get along.
Religious Preference: We fighters are quite accommodating and flexible, and are well-suited to hard-asses like the Glowing Guardian, Tikki Tooki, and Jehora Jeheyu.
Professional Skills: I can cook up a mean bowl of popcorn.

Class: Berserker
Motto: Wraaaaauauuuugggrrallblurrrrggglll
Likes: Eviscerating my enemies in creatively brutal fashions
Dislikes: Stopping to think too much
Favourite Race: I get along with orcs really well. It's not a night of drunken revelry and murderous rampage without my orc buddies.
Religious Preference: TAAAAAUUUUROOOOOOGGGG.... (also the Glowing Guardian and Mystera Annur really are working out for me... please don't tell my friends)
Professional Skills: Whatever the other guys can do, I can do while drunk and naked.
Last edited by Darvin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:57 pm

My take on the Monk (building up from Darvin - his original ones were more in there)

Class: Monk
Motto: If it's moves, then hit it. If it doesn't, then hit it till it moves.
More appropriate motto: Explore while you fight! Hit intersting new people! Sqeeze exotic boons out of mysterious deities! Convert what noone had ever converted before!
Likes: Hitting things and being smug about their inability to efficently hit you back. Exploring while hitting people.
Dislikes: Monsters that fight dirty or with magic. Foul language and stuff sticking to his fist.
Favorite Race: It's socially acceptable for a monk to punch people in the face, making this a great way for orcs to join civilized society. Fancy scars all over the body come with the lifetyle, as well.
Religious Preference: I like gods who let me hit things, but I recognize that proper discipline can be important. Tikki Tooki, Dracul, and Taurog each offer very different but rewarding benefits to my sacred techniques.
Professional Skills: Monk initiates are required to complete the ritual arse kicking contest with porcupines, and then move on to actually challenging things. They are also initiated in the mystic art of turning nothing into something.
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby harfatum on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Monk
Likes: Going for nature walks in the middle of fights. It's not ADHD, I swear.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons