[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Concept Week

Concept Week

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Concept Week

Postby Picotrain on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:23 am

I fear I might be alone in this, but what I envisioned for a codex was a straight-forward explanation of each enemy, item, etc., rather than a yearbook-style entry. I would prefer information that could help me in the game more than humour.
Picotrain

Postby The Avatar on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 am

Good point. I tend to play ONLY human transmuters. I'll edit it.

@Pictorian: I like straight facts too, but all of desktop dungeons stuff has flavor, no?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Wargasm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:38 am

I see no reason you can't get info and humour from the same source. Tvtropes.org and encyclopediadramatica pretty much run entirely on that theory.
Wargasm

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:13 am

Obligatory "The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom?" reference.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:28 am

Class: Warlord
Motto: It's just a fleshwound
Likes: Wading recklessly into combat against ludicrously dangerous enemies
Dislikes: That blasted inaccurate combat prediction
Favorite Race: Warlords are most often found amongst the sheer muscle power of the Orc, the spiritual fortitude of the Elf, or the good-old-fashioned Gnome-brewed courage juice. Attempts to breed a miracle hybrid of the three have thus far proven disgusting.
Religious Preference: I enjoy worshipping the pacifistic Mystera Annur because she lets me be more violent more often, and the completely unpredictable Jehora Jeheyu really gives me that stability and reliability I can count on, but nothing quite matches up to the ease and simplicity of the Glowing Guardian and his mountain of rules.
Professional Skills: Being able to fight effectively with a punctured lung, one kidney, half a liver, my colon strewn across the dungeon floor, and half a pint of blood remaining in my entire body. In fact, that's kind of a turn-on...

Class: Gorgon
Motto: Duuuuude... you're so stoned...
Dislikes: Pidgeons and other things that poop on statues
Favorite Race: So long as your blood is cold enough to make ice sculptures, you're cool with me.
Religious Preference: I've got this thing for Binlor Ironshield; we have a shared interest in architecture and remodeling. Otherwise, I find good company with more violent deities like Dracul or Taurog.
Professional Skills: What other adventurer can literally claim to kill with a glance?

Class: Half-Dragon
Motto: If it doesn't burn, it can break
Dislikes: Discovering the going price for your own hide at the local taxidermist
Favorite Race: It's a little hard to choose when the two sides of your family are busily devouring and smiting each other...
Religious Preference: We half-dragons tend to get along with Binlor thanks to our incredible might, but we also work well with Dracul or the Glowing Guardian.
Professional Skills: Being able to incinerate half your body while sending the other half crashing through a stone wall, leaving behind nothing but debris and the shattered remains of your skull.

Aaaand... I think the only one no one's done yet is the Sorcerer. Any takers?
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:04 am

I have nothing constructive to contribute, except to verify that vicious Tower victories are, in fact, registering. :D
q 3

Postby Wargasm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:57 am

Gorgon + Dracul? Really? I mean, I SUPPOSE one could use Dracul with only bosses leaving blood puddles on stuff like Magma Mines where there's multiple bosses - but that seems pretty sub-op. I tend to play Gorgons as casters that can take a "swing" at people at low health to finish them off or poison them while they go recover MP; Jehora Jeheyu, Mystera Annur, or Earthmother mana engines. Am I doing something horribly wrong?
Wargasm

Postby Bloggorus on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:27 am

I also think these flowery descriptions are not necessary.

Humour and flavour are fine for quests and lore text that you only going to see once, but I can see them becoming obnoxious and annoying in reference material.

I see it as being a very quick way to check how certain mechanics work; having to trawl through pages of overwritten text is a little counter-productive.
Bloggorus

Postby Darvin on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:30 am

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 am

Warlords weakness is missclicks, someone ought to point it out, even if ll this never gets implemented - it could do to flavour up the wikipedia or something. Also, has anyone done sorcerers?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons