[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Concept Week

Concept Week

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Concept Week

Postby Fran on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:53 am

Fran

Postby Wargasm on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Plus there's humour everywhere else in the game. It's taking the piss from all the overly serious dungeon romps. Hint; if 80% or more of your game is set in underground labyrinths with insane architecture that wouldn't be useful to live in, with no apparent sources of water or food, chances are your game probably shouldn't take itself too seriously. You're already killing cat girls by the dozens at that point.

So why stop at the codex? Especially given that, like as not, any such book in-game would be getting penned by some poor bloke who would doubtlessly rather be doing pretty much anything else. I mean Hell, what good is a codex going to do your typical dungeon-dwelling adventurer? What few of them can read probably wouldn't bother to do so anyhow. Heck, ever notice that Gorgons aside, there don't appear to be any female adventurers? It's 'cause all the races are sending their stupidest men into the dungeons to get killed over 30-35 gold or so. Even the success rates of veterans don't justify that kind of risk, let alone the piles of corpses novice players build up.

Don't be the "stop having fun, guys" guy. :p
Wargasm

Postby Fran on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Fran

Postby Wargasm on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Ah, I missed that comment. I'm just used to working for smaller studios with animations, and especially if you're hiring voice actors, it's not worth it to do both genders for each class unless you have a large budget or are sure the game will be a smash hit. Of course we don't have voice overs here or character animations, but unless someone in house is doing the portraits as part of their normal job, it's still an expense to generate female portraits too and I'd understand if they were skipped for monetary reasons.
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 pm

When I first thought about the "funny and hint-ey class profile" idea for part of the codex i thought it was a good idea for just having a page on strategy - you obviously can't put "do this and this" into the codex, so that one has to be just hints and humor, and that was what I thought all this was / could be. Everything else is numbers most likely.

Plus, since devs are allready working on it fat load of good all this will do...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:21 am

You never know. They could have just been laying out the base systems for the codex, and not the actual content.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Kuranes on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 am

"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Nandrew on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 am

The final codex will have some fun flavour text here and there. :) But the priority is going to be information first and foremost. Masses o' text in other parts of the game are also being trimmed where possible for the sake of not getting too bloated.

I like the lore collection idea.
Nandrew

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Lore collection is something I've been wanting for a while. I have this vague idea that the demon lords in the Library used to be regents of the old empire, and that they were transformed by JJ for some kind of trespass. This may or may not have to do with the defilement of the naga shrine of the Dragon. And so on. I can't really follow it when it's all out of order and only half-remembered.

EDIT
Also, what do we want for the dungeon codex entries? Things I'd like to see
-Any non-standard monsters that are present
-The stat modifier for that dungeon
-Maybe a brief recap of any special conditions present.

All probably shouldn't get these entries until after you've actually beaten the dungeon.
Sidestepper

Postby Kuranes on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Nandrew I have actually loved reading through the quirky dialogues and story lines so far.
I understand you'd want the game mechanics to be clear from the start so the players can get right to the decision-making, but please don't throw out the less than serious character of the game. :)
Last edited by Kuranes on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons