[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Massive data loss

Massive data loss

All things Desktop Dungeons

Massive data loss

Postby Wargasm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:33 am

My main Kingdom got screwed HARD; after entering a new subdungeon with something that looked like an old man (level 4, think I was level 2), I got a crash. I went and relogged, and now I went from ~9,600 gold to 0, lost all progress in the Vicious Dungeons (as well as access to all three monster races), lost my credit for Rogue and Assassin gold and the attendant veto slot, my 7th locker slot (which was the only time I ever had 0 gold since starting the game, so this can't even be a restoration of an earlier game state of mine.)

HELP.
Wargasm

Re: Massive data loss

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:55 am

I see the devs finally got around to making a hardcore mode. Funny way of implementing, though.

(You might want to consider using a memory hacker like Cheat Engine to rebuild your kingdom with relative speed)
Sidestepper

Postby Wargasm on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:07 pm

There's got to be a better solution than that. Surely the devs can rollback one specific account 12 hours or so. That's a massive problem that needs to be fixable from the devs' end by full release (or better yet, simply doesn't happen.) I'm certainly not going to touch anything until there's a patch in case that subdungeon (or whatever it was that was ultimately at fault) screws things up even more.

Worse, the crash happened as soon as I entered the subdungeon - I didn't even click on the old man to talk to him (assuming he could be talked to) or anything. Of course the only way to be safe if it is the subdungeon is to not enter any of them...
Wargasm

Postby booooooze on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Sounds like a great time to start a new profile!
booooooze

Postby Fran on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Sounds like a great time to post this in the bug-report thread, don't you think?

Also, I hope you know that there is going to be a beta-wipe at release?
Fran

Postby Wargasm on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 am

Well yes, I expect a wipe at release. That's entirely different. This is a beta and I expect some problems, otherwise I'd be sitting here yelling about getting my money back. Which I would be doing in the full release if something like this happened and the company shrugged and said "can't help you, man" or "go cheat your way back." The closest I ever came to that though was Daggerfall's corrupted savegame issues.

It's not being reported as a bug because I have no idea if it is a bug; it could have been some kind of damage to their server or something. The fact no one else has run across it yet makes me suspicious it's not easily repeatable if it's a bug at all. It was the second new subdungeon I found - the other involved a blue guitar. I didn't know until after I reloaded how serious it was, so I didn't pay nearly as much attention as I would have if I knew it wasn't going to be a typical crash. All I know for sure is the crash display said "invocation" in it, but I don't know if that display ever changes. That's the first time I've tried reading any of it at all; I just saw it come up, shook my head, wished there were a "send bug report" button, and hit exit. Relogged, and was hosed.

Trust me, if I knew it were going to be serious, I'd have done a much better job of reporting what dungeon I was in (I know it was a Normal dungeon, I was there because it was flaming - interestingly enough I still have flaming dungeons and access to Vicious Gaan-Telet, despite the fact that in my real file, I didn't clear Gaan-Telet until after getting all the monster classes. Heck, my second Hard finish was a Vampire.) I know I hard recently been in Cursed Oasis twice, which seems to be a very buggy place for other people. One was a successful Crusader run, I forget the other.
Wargasm

Postby Fran on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Maybe I came across a little harsh last post, sorry. I wouldn't be pleased if this happened to me either, but I'd still encourage you to just post this in the bug-thread anyway.
I mean, it could be something with the server, yes, but it won't hurt the devs to have a look at it, will it (although I'm sure they will look this thread up anyway, but it makes collecting bugs for them easier when they are in the same thread). There already were some cases where only certain people had a bug of some sorts, so investigating that surely will help.

You may take comfort in the fact that you've become a pretty good player in quite a short amount of time and have an easier time in restoring your profile to old glory, which is something you can be proud of.
Fran

Postby Wargasm on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:40 pm

^_^ Danke.

Anyhow, thing is if it's not actually a bug or they can't reproduce it or fix it, putting it in the bug thread is just clutter. If it is a bug, I can just put a link to this thread in that topic later, and it'll serve as an extremely detailed bug report. I've been doing Beta testing some eighteen or nineteen years now. Only reason I didn't mention my browser is I'm pretty sure their information tracking system gives them that information anyhow (it's Chrome, FWIW.) I'm sure we'll know within 24 hours exactly what the devs think of this and any help they might want from me.

Still not playing until there's at least one more patch though. Like I said, I don't want to be hit with the same thing twice. I did finally scum enough to beat Lothlorien in the Alpha though. Of course I had CYDSTEPP on both the first and third maps, and Jehora Jeheyu on the second, soooo...
Last edited by Wargasm on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wargasm

Postby Fran on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Fran

Postby Wargasm on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Oh, no. Probably not. I've got about twenty nationalities (primarily English, as my spelling habits no doubt give away), but I've always lived in the U.S. - I just pick up bits and pieces of other languages, particularly for words I don't like in English. "Thanks" and "thank you" are driven into the bloody ground here, where everyone thanks you for calling, and for waiting on hold, and for your patience. Actually I think they're said more often sarcastically than sincerely now. So I've taken to saying danke or gracias when I'm actually sincere. ^_^
Wargasm

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons