Behind the scenes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Behind the scenes

Postby Kuranes on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Lujo wrote:Not that he needs to be a proper god or anything, god would that be broken. However, a alch-scroll giving subdungeon could include a mock-altar. And the "tons of gold" subdungeon could include one for Glitterfinger. Just for flavour reasons. And the church could say - "except Glitterfinger and Packmaster, those are silly gods" :)

I'd love that!
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby The Avatar on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:47 pm

That would be awesome. When you step on their altars it would give some funny text and spawn the gold or scrolls.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Fran on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 am

Darvin wrote:Perhaps the Packmaster is an up-and-comer interested on joining the pantheon, and is sitting in a sub-dungeon offering to give you alchemy scrolls in exchange for piety?

I like that. The only other concept I could think about are rewards (piety/indulgence ?) for being packed, that is, depending on how many items you carry around (where you can only get the top reward by having a lot of small items). A palette swap of some other altar would propably do the trick to make it an awesome experience.

As Lujo talked about glitherfinger:
A palette-swapped golden pactmaster altar representing glitterfinger in the money subdungeon would do wonders as well.

That this would be awesome is propably the one thing the whole forum can aggree on.
(And don't you dare to speak otherwise until this is implemented, forum members! :twisted: )
Fran

Postby gjaustin on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Lujo wrote:Deification and scripture making is really big on typos, so Packmaster's origins are factualy legit as far as a god coming into egsistence goes.

Heck, you'd be amazed just how much of what we call the Bible now came to be because of typo's. I find the subject fascnating, so here's a bit of info: since judeaic (or arameic or whichevertheone it was) didn't allow for either word/sentence parsing, or writing down vowels, and neither did a lot of other languages, when they transcribed the gospels into anciant greek, right at the begginging when it wasn't that big of a religion, the "blind idiot translation" or the google translate syndrome hit the text rather badly.

Not to mention that back in middle ages the stuff was recited and transcribed by hand in the monastic system, so God alone knows how much of the stuff christians believe theese days came to be because someone was as bit blind, or a bit deaf, or had shaky fingers, or the guy who read it couldn't make out the handwriting or parse it correctly or... If Jesus came back and went through the thing he'd be going: "I said WHAT?" or "I did't WHAT?" quite a lot probably.

Heck, the name "Jahweh" used to be spelled "JHVH" if I remember correctly, so noone's really sure about what the flaming bush told Moses, or was it actually a bush, not to get into the whole "apple tree" in a legend coming from a people who most likely never ever saw an apple tree. In the language of the Slavic peoples, god was written as "G" in sacred texts, and "Isus" (Jesus) as "Iss" or "ss" - officialy not to blaspheme against the name of their god, and unofficially because they couldn't be bothered to write it a million times. Apparently Jesus wasn't even his name, but Joshua of some kind. So, Packmaster, yeah, as legit as they come, really :)

Not to derail the thread too badly, but there's some errors in this. Christian theology is a hobby of mine, so I feel the need to chime in :)

1) Typos aren't really much of a problem. There's some here or there, but the majority of transcriptions are flawless (or nearly so) due to the reverence given the text. The real problems arise from poor translations from the original language to modern languages (e.g. the King James Version), later heterodox additions (e.g. the "he without sin throw the first stone" passage), questionable attributions (e.g. a few of "Paul"'s epistles), and the fact that the last page of Mark was lost.

2) The apple tree isn't from a mistranslation or typo. It's actually a hilarious pun. Malum (ignoring accent marks) in Latin means both evil and apple. Most scholars believe it was a different fruit, such as a fig.

3) The tetragrammaton is more accurately rendered as YHWH, making Jehova a, at best, questionable name for God. Poor Jehovah's Witnesses. Yahweh is the modern best guess.

4) A fair number of modern scholars belive that most of the New Testament was originally written in Greek. Even then, we have some pretty old copies and can get very, very close to the originals even if we have some questions here or there about a particular word or turn of phrase.

The remainder is, to my knowledge, accurate. Now back to your regularly scheduled dungeoning :)
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Yep some of that clarification is spot on, however, typo's did play a major part in some ways - they go hand in hand with translating into languages which din't have appropriate letters, as far as I remember - for example the letter "f" in slavonic languages. It happend with other texts and is quite likely to have happened with the bible reverence or no reverence. And, erm, won't derail any more :)

EDT: In order not to derail wth more posts, 'll just put this here: the fig tree, rather than an apple tree s rather more logical - you'd think they'd cover their private parts with apple leaves if they ate an apple. But as far as spellings change, Odin wasn't Odin originaly but Wodan or somesuch (Wednesday is derived from his name), and as for slavonic languages - Bysantines invented a whole separate alphabet for them, and the letter "F" was used only in certain greek words like "philosophy", since oldslavonic did not in fact even recognize it as a useable phoneme. There's a folksy joke that survives to this day: "In my village there are 2 guys who's name starts with a "Fe" - Pilip and Vrane (Phillip and Francis)". Heck, even English isn't spared from this - Basil is the same name as Vasili, and St. Blaise is St. Vlaho. Heck, Bysantium was Visantium originally :D
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:33 am

Lujo wrote:Yep some of that clarification is spot on, however, typo's did play a major part in some ways - they go hand in hand with translating into languages which din't have appropriate letters, as far as I remember - for example the letter "f" in slavonic languages. It happend with other texts and is quite likely to have happened with the bible reverence or no reverence. And, erm, won't derail any more :)

Hey, I enjoyed the derail :)

And I have no experience with Slavonic languages so I'll believe you that there are different translation issues than those that arise for Germanic languages.
gjaustin

Postby Kuranes on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 am

So.. The codex, any one looking foreward to that?
Kuranes

Postby dislekcia on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:42 am

Kuranes wrote:So.. The codex, any one looking foreward to that?

We bloody well hope someone is... It's a ton of work :(
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:59 am

I'm deffinitely looking forward to it - filling it up w data adds a "gotta catch them all" aspect to the game, and it's gonna be a tromendous help to newbies in whatever shape it takes.
Lujo

Postby Kuranes on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 pm

dislekcia wrote:
Kuranes wrote:So.. The codex, any one looking foreward to that?

We bloody well hope someone is... It's a ton of work :(

I am very much looking foreward to it myself. I hope it wont be too clinical (we have the wikipedia for that), but rather something both entertaining to read and subtly informative.
Last edited by Kuranes on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuranes

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons