Orcs vs Humans (Graphs!)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Orcs vs Humans (Graphs!)

Postby Kuranes on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 am

Edit:
Due to the various factors such as attack boosters and equipment, it is increadibly hard to put up a graph showing this off due to the amount of variables. And making a graph with a reduced amount of variables (like the ones I did) will still be untrue due to things not being accounted for.

So since the original intent were to give an easy non-math-heavy way to show the two races relation to each other I've decided to pull it down, since it'd confuse more than help. :roll:
Last edited by Kuranes on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Re: Orcs vs Humans (Graphs!)

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Yup, I believe common consensus already gave us the whole "Human better later" thing but always nice to have math.

I think I suggested the current Orc conversion numbers but I do wonder if it could use a little more push to move it to "level 5."

Mostly because preps are generally frontloaded to benefit the START of the dungeon rather than the later parts. Orcs basically just pile it on some more. When you reach the harder dungeons you kind of want your racial advantages to be end-game instead.

Orcs encourages early conversion, which was great in an era where most glyphs are terrible auto-converts but now there's a lot more reason to actually use glyphs for their effects. And if that's the case then you might as well go Human because when you finally convert them, you'll get more bang for your buck when you need them most.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:11 pm

You didn't figure in 2 things: the orcs convert faster than humans, so a 5 conversion Orc has less CP thana five conversion human. The other are the three attack boosters on the ground, which also improve the orcs numbers (well, more than the humans at least.)
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Kuranes on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:24 pm

The Avatar wrote:You didn't figure in 2 things: the orcs convert faster than humans, so a 5 conversion Orc has less CP thana five conversion human. The other are the three attack boosters on the ground, which also improve the orcs numbers (well, more than the humans at least.)

Ahh. That is true. The attack boosters I didn't figure in, because its another variable. And I looked up their convertion values on the wiki, and they should both have a covertion rate of 100 points, that is why I calculated in convertions (100 pts) rather than in points.
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm

You definitely have to factor in attack boosters, because they are a massive boost to the orc. For instance:

Orc with 900 Convertion points is easily beaten by a Human with 400 convertion points less!

This is wrong; the 900 CP orc still is beating the 500 CP human at level 10.

900 CP = 11 conversions = 72 base attack * 1.3 attack bonus = 93 damage
500 CP = 5 conversions = 50 base attack * 1.8 attack bonus = 90 damage

The boosters are certainly a big variable for a level 1 comparison, but by a level 10 comparison it's a forgone conclusion that you have all three.

The toughest part is that any conversion-heavy approach with these two races is going to put a lot of emphasis on complementary items to boost their performance, so you have a lot of factors to account for. I'll rarely send a serious orc run into a dungeon without a perseverence badge (small item +10% attack bonus), for instance. Then there's the consideration that the orc's stronger performance at lower levels will allow him to garner more bonus XP and actually out-level a comparable human.

These sort of graphs are useful, but there are some many potential factors to take into account that it really comes down to one very simple lesson: orcs are better early, humans are better late. Anything more really depends on what assets you have at your disposal.
Last edited by Darvin on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Darvin wrote:900 CP = 11 conversions = 72 base attack * 1.3 attack bonus = 93 damage
500 CP = 4 conversions = 50 base attack * 1.8 attack bonus = 90 damage

Ahh. I were certain that orcs got +2 base attack per 100 conversion points and humans +10% bonus attack per 100 conversion points, thats why I did it it conversions rather than points since I figured the amount'd be the same.

But because of all these unaccounted factors, I better pull down the thread. Since its original intend were to inform. :)
Kuranes

Postby harfatum on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:54 pm

How about a bivariate plot with level and CP?
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Return to Desktop Dungeons