[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Desktop Dungeons (Beta) - Analysis & Input

Desktop Dungeons (Beta) - Analysis & Input

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Desktop Dungeons (Beta) - Analysis & Input

Postby MeVII on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:14 pm

MeVII

Postby MuF on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Good old Taurog the god of war, he'd be quite popular in a world like Desktop Dungeon's.
That means he's got a huge load of followers, many many avid slaughtering little bloodthirsty (and sometimes halfling!!) adventurers.
They're all asking for help like : "Hey big T, gimme a sword to whack some guys and grab their gold!" or "I totally don't want to die, so like, could you perhaps arrange a little something?" or even simply "me no like monster, me kill, you make me better kill stuff." for the less educated followers (I'm looking at you berzerker).

Now then, there's even some people who just strolled to his altar 10 minutes ago and said they'd smash a few random monsters in his name. And then they come back. And they ask for a weapon!
Okay fine, they did kill baddies, that was fun to watch, but you're definitely not going to give them the ultimate weapon of mass destruction right away.

But hey, those poor guys are counting on you, if you just give them the Finer Sword: "looks like it could do +1 damage compared to that piece of metal you just left behind, what a deal!", they're going to think you're actually ignoring them (which, by the way, you are, sort of).
So, you can't give them a big sword of almighty doom and you can't just give them a sword called Finer Sword.
What do you do? Give the weapon a snazzy look and a fancy name: Skullpicker, yeah, that's cool! That feels downright deadly!
Just add a bit of legend behind it and voila! They all feel loved! Every single one of those spelunking losers actually think they're special!

This is totally the true story behind Taurog's sword. Fact!

That and the fact that he broke his trusty Godspanker whacking the other gods on the head to nerf them. Sad story. Seems like Binlor had a tough skull.
MuF

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:35 pm

Skullpicker is definitely worse than the Fine Sword - the +1 base damage is almost always outweighed by the -2 MP, as well as the fact that you can't ever get rid of it without triggering Taurog's rage (and it's not worth any conversion points anyway). I think it would be much better at its original +10 but with the piety cost increased to 30 or 40, or with damage that scales by level like the current Trisword, or a reduced mana penalty, or as an inherent boost rather than an item. A boon that negates 25-50% of enemy physical resistance would also be nice - and would make Mystera-Taurog a useful combination for once. :)
q 3

Postby Dunno on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:38 am

So, how deep should the "why" be answered in actual game design? Why don't characters choke on dust from ENDISWAL use? Why don't potions break when they fall on the floor? Why don't monsters chase characters? Why don't we see characters actually wearing the equipment they have and swinging the weapons they have?

Why do I keep poking you? Well, I prefer "why"s to be interesting in content, not in writing only, and that requires one asking to know the subject he's talking about in some detail. Like, for example: "why is lvl 3 foo able to kill lvl 7 foo?" - if you call that an extreme incident, what do you call "several different lvl 1 foo killing lvl 10 boss foo consistently"? Oh, wait, you said it was not a part of your opinion, since you didn't know about it. I am sad that you used so many words, and well arranged words, to express a "why" that boring. It reads almost like a great, epic, inspiring (no, this is not an attempt at sarcasm) saga about washing dishes.

...I do wonder if I should stare at this instead of writing that all.

P.S. I'm honestly at a loss about your P.S. - would you mind to elaborate a bit?
Dunno

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons