[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Balance Tweaks Roundup

Balance Tweaks Roundup

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Balance Tweaks Roundup

Postby q 3 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 pm

It could very well be that I'm just no good at playing Taurog (outside of easy scenarios - and by "easy" I mean everything but the vicious dungeons, two or three of the hard dungeons, and a handful of quests and challenges ;) ). But for me, finding his altar in a difficult scenario is basically a waste of an altar; the only real exception is for a pure caster, for whom he is a so-so desecration option. His items fill up your inventory too fast, and his boons really aren't worth taking just for the meager bonus damage, considering their piety cost and the reduced max MP.

He's not a very good piety farm, either, except in the rare case where you want to immediately convert a bunch of glyphs then convert out, and have no plans to worship GG, JJ, or Mystera. Otherwise, the optimal strategy is to wait until I've converted to my preferred deity and then start killin' stuff, because that's going to get you piety with your 'real' god (TT, Dracul, and JJ all give piety for kills, GG for the piety on level-up). Binlor and Mystera are much, much better piety farms, and IMO in a vicious dungeon GG is the best counterpart to Pactmaker due to the ridiculous amounts of piety you'll eventually get from leveling up (unless you've prepped him).

Every other deity is either flexible by default (like JJ) or at least has something you can do with them apart from their speciality (like EM, who is primarily useful for her utterly broken Plantation+Clearance combo, but her other boons aren't terrible). And I do think the Taurog-worshipper is unique in being so completely inflexible: the Monk can in fact get magic resistance, and in fact his other class features (higher max res, double regen) make him very formidable once he does so; the Assassin has plenty of options even when poison isn't effective (mainly due to Swift Hands - now, if Swift Hands also didn't work against undead then you'd have a very good point), and TT has plenty of uses other than his poison boon. But worship Taurog in, say, the Slime Pit or Namtar's Lair, and it seems to me that you're deliberately crippling yourself.

I don't necessarily want Taurog to be stronger, but it would be much appreciated if something were done to make him more flexible, at least for high-end play. Otherwise we may as well put a veto slot at the church so that you can ban his altar as soon as it becomes more trouble than it's worth.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm more or less with q3 on this one. Taurog isn't without use, but he's still the worst god in the game because of his crippling inflexibility, lack of ability to combo with anything except resist-stacking, and steep downsides. Every other deity has the ability to be adapted to wide variety of uses and situations. At a certain difficulty threshold, Taurog is just a piety farm and the only people who even consider his boons are resist-stackers or characters that somehow got their hands on more than one compression scroll.

As I've already said, I've long since given up trying to convince the devs to change Taurog. I can live with him as he is, but I'm not happy with him.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I don't disagree with you guys in the assesment that he's too inflexible, but I think he's just paying the price of the game being structured the way it is. I worship him quite often for the damage resists or just the occasional skullpicker, pick him up for the +20% att if I can spare the MP (nothing meager about that in my book), like him with rogues for the piety spike and use him as a non-exploration piety farm. I even used him on non-prepped out mysterea into taurog Warlords of all things, and I use him with compression seals and Tinkers quite often. Never used him for body pact, but I hear it was all the rage, and I also use specific glyphs while worshiping him, especialy on magic user heavy maps which provide piety for him.

I don't really think he's such a waste of an altar slot, it really depends on what you're going for. But he's so vital early in the kingdom development for anyone not going the TT grind route that I think making him more flexible would equal making him more powerfull at the same time.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:06 am

True about GG but he's nowhere nearly so single-mindedly easy to handle. Dev's have stated time and time again they want the newbies to go west first, and for good reasons :D

Also, yeah, I never used Taurog with body pact, it's strange. Essentially, since Body pact costs as much as I gain from a kill, I somehow always feel too paranoid about locking myself into a steady downward spiral. If I'm going for resists, I'm not sticking in Taurog since it's suboptimal (to changing to say Drac), so I need that piety to convert out, and if I'm going for the DP spike, I don't really need the resists so much but I do need the piety. I gues it's a psychological thing or something.

Can you still take the consensus if you pick up a pact first? Because if true I might break the stupid habit and develop a new, stupider one.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 am

Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:09 pm

dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Last edited by Darvin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Aye, I agree Taurog's not the most prepared because he's OP or anything.

It's because Gods like TT and JJ's altar prep cost are still super huge.

I think Earthmother and GG are the only ones I might consider taking.

Binlor probably used to take Taurog's place as most prepared altar, but his changes really toned him down (funny thing is, with Pisorf instead of EndIsWal, Binlor's prep penalty actually becomes an issue now. Okay, maybe not funny, just intentional)
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Here's an interesting idea. What if you took away the % bonus from each weapon and made unstoppable fury a one time super boon. Something like permanent might, one DP, and maybe some knockback.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons