[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Just Curious

Just Curious

All things Desktop Dungeons

Just Curious

Postby Darvin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm curious as to some statistics that the devs are tracking, if they'd be willing to share:

1) Relative popularity of each of the Pactmaker's pacts

2) Most/Least played dungeons

3) Total number of successful dungeon runs / total number of attempted dungeon runs (ie, global player success rate)

4) Relative popularity of the seven races

5) The average number of dungeon runs before the user defeats Horatio in hard Gaan-Telet.

Don't know if you're tracking all this stuff, but I'd be interested to know if you are.
Darvin

Re: Just Curious

Postby dislekcia on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:50 am

1. Nope, not tracking boons that solidly yet. Could probably expand on them but not sure about the benefit to the game right now - trying not to make large changes in design anymore.

2. Tracked, but requires lots of data manipulation to find out. Will probably do this eventually when I have a week to actually crunch the whole dataset after I've pulled it down.

3. Total attempted runs since we started tracking: 650634. Total victories recorded: 142132. Total runs fled from: 137316. (Total time played is trickier and again, requires me poking the complete dataset pretty hard)

4. Runs started with:
Human: 379212
Elf: 57855
Dwarf: 36803
Halfling: 61696
Gnome: 61768
Orc: 34048
Goblin: 15572

5. 3790 runs started on Tower of Gaan-Telet, 241 victories recorded. This may be only the vicious version though - will have to check up on proper dungeon names on our side. Not sure if story-win events are recorded right now. That is still out of a much smaller pool than the total runs - dungeon location tracking was only added about halfway through the logging process.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:31 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Darvin

Postby lucad on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Stats! That's cool as heck. Only thing I'd ask still is the popularity of the classes...

I couldn't help to bite the calculator and find a few numbers within yours. A little heads up, though, I don't know how the numbers are being generated but the fact that not all races are available from the beginning obviously give the early races a boostie. Nevertheless, if anyone's interested:

Humans hold more than half of the gameplay popularity. Since 58~% of the games thrown around are on their hands, it actually means they are played more than the other races combined. Leaving Humans out of the equation, 21~% of the games are on shorties hands (Halflings, Gnomes, and Goblins), while another 19~% is on the hands of the tall ones. Or medium sized. (Dwarves, Orcs and Elves)

So, in other words, in every other ten games, 6 humans, 1 halfling, 1 gnome and 1 elf are rolled. The last spot is usually a gruesome outcome between Orcs and Dwarves, with Goblins now and then taking the fight to themselves.

On the outcome side, only 22~% of the dungeon raids end up with the boss being dead, while a little less than half (43~%) of them end with the hero alive (Fleeing/Winning). The gruesome obviousity is that 57~% or so of the raids cost the life of our adventurer (Which, again, usually is a probable human).

So, in little numbers:
New to Desktop Dungeons? Prepare to lose 8 of every 10 games.

PS: Couldn't help but notice: The added sum of runs by race tallies up to 646954, while the number of raids disclosed is a little higher than that. Calculations where made with the first number for races while outcomes used the 65k-ish.
lucad

Postby Darvin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Oh, i didn't count the number of digits on humans, d'oh!

Wow.

Also interested in what dungeons get played the most, but if these numbers combined with old god usage stats give me a clue of anything it's that most people apparently give the game a try and give up once the difficulty starts gettign ridiculous, which is probably rather soon for regular people. I might be wrong, though.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby harfatum on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby q 3 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Does each restart add to the number of runs? If so, I might be responsible for something like 10% of all vicious Tower runs. :D
q 3

Postby Darvin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons