Puzzle Solutions

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Puzzle Solutions

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Bumping for benefit of whoever was looking for the exact way to do Earthmother 3. it's in white in the revious post. Looks convoluted, but isn't so much...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Now, I personally disagree; I find the vine form approach is more intuitive since it gives you the HP to survive a hit from the boss. I'd also be weary of advocating your solution since it's clearly not the intended one (you didn't use WONAFYT) and the devs have shown a propensity to invalidate unintended solutions to puzzles.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:49 pm

It's np, the vine form solution just looked like something I'd never figure out on my own. Why and how I managed to find mine is beyond me, but I seem to have a knack of naturally sucessfully doing unintended stuff. Plus, it's certanly unintended because you can get screwed over by random at one point, I was just really amused that this actually has 2 very different solutions yet is puzzling to people.
Lujo

Postby Laughing Physicist on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 pm

I love these puzzles! Almost more than I enjoy the rest of the game; I finally figured out Gnome 3 after being continually stuck with the snake down to 5 HP and having no further recourse. I hope the difficulty stays and the convoluted solutions of the puzzles are not made more transparent.
Laughing Physicist

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:33 am

Wellcome to the forums, and glad you enjoy the puzzles :)
Lujo

Postby Le Boucher on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Does anyone have solutions for the Troll puzzles?

I'm stuck on 4 right now.
Le Boucher

Postby Almost on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:46 am

Can somebody confirm whether or not the Glowing Guardian 2 puzzle is still possible?

The solution two pages back definitely no longer works, and my guess is that the poison item was rebalanced (prevents 5 points of healing instead of prevents healing indefinitely) and so the puzzle is no longer beatable.
Almost

Postby onionbreath on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:09 pm

The posted solution to Glowing Guardian 2 does not work. In particular, since the venom dagger only blocks 5 points of regeneration, it doesn't do nearly enough to prevent the troll from healing while you heal up from exploring.

I tried some alternative approaches, but
- cleansing doesn't help since the troll has 50% resist to both physical and magical damage.
- converting the dagger immediately (to avoid the 10 piety penalty when first attacking the troll) doesn't help, you still only have enough to use Protection twice (healing back to 13hp)
- saving the potion for use against the troll doesn't appear possible (must level up prior to first attack against troll, must kill level 2 zombie to level up, must use potion to kill level 2 zombie)

Is this puzzle actually possible?

Additionally, (using humility in this puzzle lowers your health regen back to 1 hp/square. Is this supposed to happen? It's not clear from the description, and the tooltip on the heart icon doesn't change to reflect this)
onionbreath

Postby coolsnake on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 pm

troll 4 solution
Use ENDISWALL on wall right above you.
Go to top of inner room between the top two trolls and hit them.
Go to the place where the piece of wall is missing and hit the left troll.
Go up a space and hit the troll directly above you.
Go to upper right corner of inner room and hit troll directly below you.
Go back to the place where piece of wall is missing and hit the right troll.
Kill the boss.
coolsnake

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 am

imho, gnome 3 was frustratingly difficult, but certainly not as hard as everyone has been saying. I thought it was fairly obvious to get to level 3 using the extra exp. My first run through I was 2 exp short, and I said to myself "Aha!". Took me quite a few more to get the exact order down, but the sign post seems like it's just giving away the solution. Don't remove it, as it seems people need it, but I expected more from some of these fellows.

As for troll 4:
You'll probably hate yourself for not realizing how simple this one is... In any case:

1) Endiswall just to the right or left of boss. I did right. Personal preference.
2) Hit troll closest to this hole twice to move him out to boss.
3) Hit other 3 in order to knock them into their respective spots.
4) Hit the outside troll back in by knocking him into boss. Since creatures act like walls to cowardly monsters.
5) Hit boss.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons