[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Suggestion - Warning

Suggestion - Warning

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Suggestion - Warning

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 am

I think we can all agree (hopefully) that there should be an optional click-to-select mode, and that would appease people who want warnings. RIght?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 am

q 3

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 am

Ouch. Touchpads are tough.

Hmm... I don't think there's anything to be done unless you create a mode where it deselects the monster if it's one hit from killing you. I personally think that would be a serious pain, but I don't know about everybody else.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 pm

I tested it.

Or, rather, I seem to have had a rather in depth expirience with dying in this game through no fault of my own.

Back when I did all those uncountable Gaan'Telet runs which ended in a unitiy crash I kept dying through no fault in my reasonign, strategy, preparedness, sobriety or even level of sanity. I'd go through the designated most difficult dungeon in the game which doubled as a roguelike of it's own, killed the end boss with resources left over, and repeatedly got my sense of reward and acomplishment yanked away from me by the Unity Bug.

The devs decided that the designated goal was in fact to kill Horatio, and the dungeon got nerfed to an appropriate difficulty level by taking out the bug, and then buffed to account for the severaly reduced difficulty :P

I propose the same be done with all manual dexterity hazards, or at least introduction of a "hopeless wuss mode" button which would let non-leet casuals like me, or guys on a hardware budget, play the game without that extra layer of challenge.

EDIT: On a sidenote, Unity Bug really made the game addictive, I'll tell you that. The fact that you didn't just die at random intervals certanly reduced the replayability of Gaan'Telet, as far as going in with the exact same class/race/loadout is concerned. On the plus side, it's quite a bit harder to go bankrupt because of it these days.
Lujo

Postby Nurator on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

How about the game starts with a warning system for EVERYTHING. You get warned if you get poisoned (directly with an explanation what happens when you are poisoned), manaburned, weakened and so on.
As a reward for a beginner quest you get the possibility to turn this to "A few warning" rewarding in a higher gold reward for every dungeon. This would only include Death, Mana Burn with full mana and other severe things.
As a reward for intermediate quest you can turn this completly off, leaving you with a high additional gold reward, but leaving you unprotected against midclicks.

With this system you could easily get into the game after a long time of abscence by giving you hints about everything you forgot at first. When you get acustomed again, you turn this feature off to really get into financing your kingdom again.

Oh and this is always turn off when you start Vicious :) What do you think?
Nurator

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm with Darvin on this one, the threat of death is part of the game. If there was a warning there would be no death at all, except for trying for a lucky dodge or getting trapped. Misclicks are a bad thing and I understand if you play with a touchpad it's more of a problem, but the only misclicks I had were by playing too fast and overseeing something, I think there should be a penalty for that.
berpdreyfuss

Postby q 3 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:56 pm

One thing I'm curious about regarding the "but then you would never die!" idea - how often do you all actually die?! Outside of misclicks, or the aforementioned "trying for a lucky dodge or getting trapped," I literally never die. I do, however, end up in unwinnable positions, in which I don't have enough HP/MP to keep fighting - that is, in fact, the usual "loss" condition. What difference does it make whether you lose by dying or lose by being unable to continue? If anything, I think having to admit defeat and surrender is the more punishing mechanic; a glorious death in a hopeless battle offers some semblance of dignity, at least.
q 3

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:12 pm

I think we should seperate technical misclicks that happen because of a popup or lag or something (Which have not happended to me, it may be because I didn't play too much) and misclicks that happen because you don't pay attention (like not thinking of a retaliate fireball). The first should be avoided, the others are part of the game imho. Just knowing that it only takes one click to end your run is part of the suspense for me.

If you realise you're in a not winnable position it's totally fine to surrender.
berpdreyfuss

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons