Suggestion - Warning

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Suggestion - Warning

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59hzHWbI9Bs

I prepped slayer wand for a halfling fighter. Its' a great early game build. I even saved my DP.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 pm

The Avatar wrote:I have to disagree on the vicious. With good planning they can be beaten consistently with light preps for a good combo, or even purist. Then again, I have a rather off perspective, so I'll stop there.

Well, I freely admit that you are more proficient than me :) And there are certainly class-dungeon combos that are much easier than others (Berserker VHoS is a good example).

Hmm... Where would you put silver and gold challenges on your scale. I'd say silver with hard and gold between hard and vicious, although the difficulties vary quite dramatically on some of these.

It's hard to compare these directly to dungeons because preps are limited or non-existent. But yeah, Bronze =Easy/Normal, Silver = Normal/Hard, Gold = Hard/Vicious is a good estimate.

EDIT: Just saw the video. Very nice. And you even kept your Death Protection! Question: would you have used that IMAWAL glyph at some point if the 1st level monster hadn't been a magic resistant goat?
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Probably not. I loathe to use IMAWAL, because you want to have as many monsters on the board as possible when the boss appears, as it is essential to utilize your knockback. That means even when it would have been a good choice to use IMAWAL, I don't. It's probably not the best policy.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun May 12, 2013 12:32 am

The Avatar wrote:That means even when it would have been a good choice to use IMAWAL, I don't. It's probably not the best policy.

Not sure about that paricular dungeon, but in general - IMAWAL's really good. Unless you fear curse in the endgame, it's actually really good. I've picked up earthmoter just to secure and early one.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 am

Yeah. It's a flaw in my strategy. I can't stand giving up popcorn even though I can consistently get 2-4 higher level kills.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun May 12, 2013 4:44 pm

The Avatar wrote:Yeah. It's a flaw in my strategy. I can't stand giving up popcorn even though I can consistently get 2-4 higher level kills.

Well, noone could call it a flaw, since you're gettign your results easier than me :D It's just a general thing that you can use and not necessarily hurt the gameplay.
Lujo

Postby ChasGB on Sun May 12, 2013 11:21 pm

dislekcia wrote:YES! THERE IS GOING TO BE A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY TO INTERACT WITH THE GAME COMING SOON! YOU WILL CLICK MONSTERS TO SELECT THEM, THEN CLICK SOMEWHERE ELSE TO MAKE WITH THE ATTACKING!

My apologies, I didn't read all 12 pages of the thread very closely before making my previous post and I missed this and made an idiotic post. Sorry devs.

However, I think I may have a solution to this "Death Warning Debate" that hasn't been specifically proposed yet.

The sides of the argument seem to boil down to 1) We need a warning because death by accidental (hardware, lag, etc) misclick is BS and aggravating 2) Sudden death is part of what makes the game fun and helps you learn proper play and 3) There shouldn't be any death at all. My solution addresses the first two sides: Ignore the first click altogether if the portrait says "Death."

No warning, no popup, no sound, just absolutely nothing, like the click never happened. The next click? Death. This only works as a solution if what is happening (or rather NOT happening) is completely transparent to the player and there are no alerts, icons, etc.

If there is a "Click" due to lag or hardware, then nothing happens and the player is none the wiser that his hero narrowly escaped death. If there's a deliberate click due to lack of attentiveness and the like, it just feels like lag or maybe the click just doesn't register (both of which aren't uncommon) but there's actually nothing that happens on screen to change the gameplay experience.

It's not a death protection, and there's no real gain for players to exploit with it. The only real implementation question (the devs mentioned that they already implemented delays into clicks) is whether it's one click per dungeon or one click per monster, whichever's easier. It doesn't change the core gameplay and greater experience of death (which is what the devs and one group want) but at the same time guards against those "Acts of God" like trackpads, cats, lag, bumps, etc that can be so frustrating.

What do you all think? Would this be a viable solution? Is this a completely harebrained concept? Was this idea already tested without us knowing about it?
ChasGB

Postby The Avatar on Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 am

Maybe. Still, it would seem a bit lame if you wanted to try for a dodge. It would look like the game lagged a lot more than it actually does, and then people might start complaining about that.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby ChasGB on Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 am

That is a good point. is it very often that you gamble for a dodge when you see "Death" on the monster portrait? I would think that you'd have to be pretty hard up to take that kind of risk and would be a relatively rare occasion; rare especially when compared to accidental misclicks. I know I've died to accidental misclicks many many times, but only once or twice to gambling on dodge. And the real intent here is to prevent those "Oh wtf, I didn't mean to click on that! Stoopid trackpad!" moments.

FWIW, I've noticed several times when playing today and yesterday where a click randomly didn't go through. No big deal. Irritation over accidental clicks appears to be a much more common forum thread than "I had a click that didn't register."

I was Justin thinking out of the box, and yeah, ignoring the first click is not an absolutely perfect solution, but what is? It does address the salient issues of both sides of the discussion, in an elegant if slightly shady manner.
ChasGB

Postby Lujo on Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 am

+1 to solution. Seems elegant. Lately I've also noticed clicks not going through on occsiaon, but I blamed it on my mouse. Didn't annoy me.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons