Snake? Snaaaaaake!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Snake? Snaaaaaake!

Postby Darvin on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:06 pm

It occurs to me with a booster preps now available there's no longer any reason to prep fewer glyphs. Humans get 200 CP worth of attack bonus, which outweighs your best-case gains from fewer glyphs. Orcs get a nice synergy out of extra attack boosts and will very rarely even consider anything else. Dwarves and elves get 160 CP and 140 CP respectively, which is pretty near their best-case scenario (plus dwarves desperately need any source of attack bonus, so I cannot imagine picking anything else as a dwarf now). Goblins, Halflings, and Gnomes all desperately need stat boosts to complement their conversion benefits so I can't imagine taking anything other than a booster prep for them.

It seems that these booster preps have edged fewer glyphs right out of viability.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 pm

My vampire is sad when you say things like that, he actually likes fewer glyphs.
Fran

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Vampire is probably the only case where it makes sense to go with fewer glyphs, but even then the attack booster prep is very competitive.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Yeah, its competetive, although the chances are that you find glyphs faster than the extra boosters - then again, its not that important to save tiles as a vampire anyway.
Especially as fewer glyphs are double the cost of the booster preps, you have a big point here.
Although I have to say that using the fewer glyphs with gnome / halfling / goblin may be appealing to new players they basically help you to make more mistakes and you aren't likely to use all the glyphs at that stage anyway.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Still, there shouldn't be any strictly newbie preps. Even ones that we consider bad (sword, shield, etc.) still have the occasional good use.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons