[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Deities ; Thoughts on the Final Roster

The Deities ; Thoughts on the Final Roster

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Deities ; Thoughts on the Final Roster

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 pm

I think you could make the individual god preps add that altar if you we're forced to worship them first or they were made undesecratable. Still, it's probably too late in the game for that.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Minaro on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Poor Mystery and Taurog, they're definately my least used gods.

Mystery simply because she brings very small benefits short of Piety farming, even for Wizards or other spellcasters (which is saying a lot). Flames is practically NEVER a good option, since you want/need to make normal attacks 99% of the dungeon runs, you'd need to have a very, very specific dungeon setup screw you over to make the trade worthwhile. After all, even with no base damage bonuses, 50% is 25 damage at level 10. Add in the huge amounts of things you can do to increase your damage output and/or just get more hits in, you'd need to be able to get atleast 3-4 fireballs in for every regular attack you make. Well, I guess that I atleast use Mystery here more than in the Alpha. In the Alpha worshopping her would've been forfeiting the game most of the time.

Then there's Taurog.. Taurog is an inventory hogger, with items that are generally worse than a lot of your shop alternatives, thus leaving you weaker if you actually use them, or atleast if you get good shops. Even in the right circumstances, using up that many slots seriously limits your choices. Even if you have the potential to use glyphs since his penalty isn't *that* bad if you're just gonna use them for catapults, you don't have enough inventory space. This is probably one of the biggest issues, Taurog both leaves you (mostly) unable to use glyphs - not primarily because of losing mana or piety, but because you lack space to keep them - AND unable to use more items. It desperately limits your choices, to the point where you often find yourself off much worse with than without him.

Now, there's a truckload of ways to go to make Mystery better, so I won't go there. On the other hand, a simple yet ridiculously effective way to make Taurog better would be to make all/some/most of his items small - you could use Taurogs boons and equipment yet still have more room for other things, be they glyphs or other items. That'd shift his limitations more towards what I feel they should be - spellcasting. The current loss of Max mana is already going a long way towards making you weaker.
Minaro

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:57 am

It really is a shame. I think Taurog should have been remade, but I guess how focused in he is helps new players.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:50 am

Maybe we should have deity veto slots. :twisted:
q 3

Postby Gavster on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 am

Mystera can help you double fireball early, I find it useful in conjunction with wehtwuht, if you find both early enough.
Extra xp and opening spaces is nothing to spite. Converting into tikki tokki at 50 piety will let you pick up another xp per kill and dodge. Wehtwuht is better with jehora but crap early game starts can be flipped around. Wehtwuht let's you utilise space better.

I kind of agree with the devs on taurog. It took me so long to leverage tikki tokki properly, earth mother messed up my killing the boss so many times and gg I'm still average at. If they improved Taurog they'd have to ruin his learning curve viability.

When Taurog is your only option and you don't have fireball, he can be useful. Drop 2-3 early glyphs and you can pick up +5 dmg. At level 1 it let's you catapult early. And if you don't mind the mana loss you can buy and leave items on the floor for +5% bonus dmg, much better to jump gods though, especially if you find fireball. He's a beast at picking up piety for melee classes. Pactmakers best friend.
Gavster

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Really guys, the whole "Taurog should be remade" thing is pro's wanting stuff to cater to them. Taurog wins runs on his own before you unlock anything else, even the basic stuff you start auto-prepping once you've unlocked anything else. Yeah, he's not optimal in the super-late endgame (allthough he's part of the most extreme strat possible, so yeah on that), but he's really, really, really fool-proof easy to use and he's not in fact lacking in power as much as not as powerfull compared to stuff that we somehow feel entitled to but only a handfull of people in the world can unlock and figure out on their own anyway...

The game is too hard for the average human being, so they were given an overpowered newbie crutch to keep them from quitting on time. Lets not whine because we cant keep using it as effectively once we unlock even more retarded stuff.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Minaro on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Minaro

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:21 pm

I don't think anybody wants Taurog to be both "insta-win early Kingdom" and "insta-win late Kingdom" but the important phrases "balanced"/"viable choice".

Maybe they should take more inspiration from the original DC's Trog, who is gamebreakingly powerful early in the DUNGEON but terrible end-game and a lot of Trog worshippers try to jump ship then.

I don't know how you would translate that though. Giving bonuses that are uber at level 1 but become super weak at 10? Shrug.
TigerKnee

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons