[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Picking an item for Naga City (Poll included)!

Picking an item for Naga City (Poll included)!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Which reward would you like to keep on Naga City?

"Mage Fist"
70%
Naga Cauldron
30%

Total votes : 10

Picking an item for Naga City (Poll included)!

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Right. The devs stated on the last patch notes that they're going to make a decision on which of the two naga city rewards to keep. I figure to make things easier we should just have a poll to help give them info. That way they don't really have to browse around if they want comments on which to keep. Not to say this is formal or will ultimately determine their decision. It's just a help if they want it.

Please do two things:
1. Select one option on the poll and submit it.
2. Leave a comment as to WHY you want that item to stay as opposed to the other item. It does not have to be long or complex in any way.

Here are descriptions of the two items:
"Mage Fist": +4 fireball damage per level. Hitting a monster with a fireball instantly maxes burning. All monsters have retaliate: fireball.

Naga Cauldron: +2% increase to potion effectiveness for every stack of weakening, corrosion, and poison. The bonus only applies to health and mana potions.

Here's my answer:

I prefer the naga cauldron. It offers a whole new play style kind of like the monster classes. While "Mage Fist" may do that too, the cauldron is actually usable at Hard level (and possibly vicious) play. Plus it's a cool idea to make sort of Martyr Heroes who gain spiritual (or magical) strength by sacrificing physical strength.
Last edited by The Avatar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Picking an item for Naga City (Poll included)!

Postby Darvin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 am

Without having tried them, I really can't say which one I'd prefer (I did earn the Naga Cauldron by playing on another computer, but I haven't had the chance to take it for a test run). To be honest, the ability for pure spellcasters to rack up corrosion and weakening to obscene levels with no real penalty is a bit of a problem for the Cauldron. I'm also curious as to how it works for thieves.

For the Mage Fist, I like the idea of fundamentally changing the way BURNDAYRAZ works, but it's clear the implementation is overly niche. I like the concept better than the Cauldron if it could be executed better.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 am

I haven't played for quite some time. How do you get both items? I assume beating Naga City but does it randomly give you one of the two items or are there criterias?
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 am

I'm 99% sure it's random. I've gotten the same item from two totally different strategies and a different for two runs with the same strategy.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby sitnaltax on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:38 am

I played around with the Naga Cauldron some:

* It provides a +2% bonus for each stack of poison, weakening, or corrosion. However, it doesn't seem to calculate these bonuses correctly right away--I went to Ick Swamp, whacked a mushroom, and the bonus didn't seem to calculate until I whacked a corrosive creeper.
* The bonus is additive, not multiplicative. For example, the natural potion restoration is 40%. If I have 20 stacks of corrosion, my mana potions will be worth 40% + 40% = 80% of my total, not 40% * 1.4 = 56%.
* The bonus does not affect strength potions, only health and mana. Given that the only way to get the bonus up to a serious level is to have so many stacks of corrosion/weakening as to make melee not very useful, only mana potions are really likely to see a benefit.
sitnaltax

Postby sitnaltax on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:43 am

To actually answer the question, I favor Mage Fist. It makes the game different in an interesting way, although I still think the effect is really more suited as a hook for a new class.

As far as I can tell, Naga Cauldron is a one-trick gimmick: be a gnome, load up with Corrosion or Weakening, whatever's handy, and go crazy with fireballs. If the intent of the item is to provide a sliding compensation for being weakened, I would make it slide much faster--say, 5% per stack, limit 6. It's still a hard sell against other preps. It's not usable period in the significant number of dungeons with no ready source of Corrosion or Weakening. If the intent is just to allow the player to trade offense for mana power, just add an item that does that straight-up without the messing around with potions. Let elves get in on it too. I'm also concerned because the game already features a "trade melee for magical power" effect that nobody likes--Mystera's Flames boon. I think it would be much more interesting to see that buffed to usability than to make a couple bored runs with the Naga Cauldron.
sitnaltax

Postby Darvin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Yeah.

I think Mage Fist is more interesting, but the consequence of retaliation makes it to unviable and therefore uninteresting.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Hmmm... what if the Mage Fist added your attack damage instead of doubling the fireball's normal damage? For most characters, attack damage is much higher than fireball damage so this would give you a much more competitive effect.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:26 am

That would be wierd, cool, and possibly broken. I can just imagine my 300 damage fireball rogue! I just wish it gave you some way to avoid detrimental effects. That's the big dealbreaker for me.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons