[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Now i know what vicious means

Now i know what vicious means

All things Desktop Dungeons

Now i know what vicious means

Postby Dreamdancer on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Unlocked 'Demonic Library' yesterday. Since it was late I started a purist run (going orc rogue) to see how the dungeon looks like. It ended like always (game is too addictive) and it tried to beat the dungeon.
Items weren't really great, went most of the time with the fine sword and later the health pedant was nice. Found Binlor and started to first crush wall and then using PISFOR against the monsters (thanks to taurog for a second sword). Thankfully the bosses had low health. After the first went down, all the rest got a buff and i thought sh*t... Further the battle went on and in the end i had one last boss, low on health but with a DP :( and i had to surrender (went with 7 gold out...) and me with no ressources left (even all the shop items i could buy were converted).
First thought was: Well it was a vicious dungeon and you went purist. So no big deal in not beating the dungeon.
Second thought: Wait... the description of the dungeon said, that the avatar would be the boss :shock:
And i don't think he will be so easy as the hard Horatio...

Think now the really hard part will start.
So, thank you guys for this great game. Official i ended the main quest, but it will take much more time to clear everything, if i'll manage it (this will be the interesting part).
Dreamdancer

Re: Now i know what vicious means

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I agree. Thank you devs!!!!!

The Avatar is actually not much harder than Horratio, but when you add in the other 5 bosses it really is vicious. And that's probably the easiest of the 4. Debatably.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Agreed. It depends on how you define hard. Naga City is hard if you make it up as you go, but is almost trivial to an experienced player with a good strategy.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Once you realize that there's one boon that completely breaks Naga City, and it happens to be on a deity that has massive piety opportunities on this dungeon, that's when Naga City breaks. Until you figure out that trick, it's quite a challenge. I won't spoil it for our friend here who hasn't gotten to experience that dungeon for himself, but the rest of us know which deity is the patron god of Naga City.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 am

Heck, if you nab that boon in just about any vicious you can win. Still, I find there's a strategy that will win a dungeon with every class for every vicious. At least certain preps that seriously help that apply to all strategies.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:11 am

Yes.

I almost ignore VGT. I don't even count it as vicious practically. It gets its own special tier in my mind.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 am

Are we talking about the boon also known as The Hack or is it some other boon we're talking about?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 am

My first VICIOUS experience was a recon run into Namtar's Lair. I was totally unprepared for the VICIOUS stat array and got mauled. I ran out of black space at level 3 :oops: The experience was so traumatic that I didn't go back for months. I still feel slightly intimidated by Namtar's Lair, even though I now know that it isn't even the hardest of the VICIOUS set.

Lujo: I think Darvin and Avatar must be talking about The Hack. With no boss on the upper level the first half is popcorn city and the lower level has a renewing supply of black space.

That being said my favorite approach on that map is Glowing Guardian followed up with extreme Absolution + Enlightenment.
Sidestepper

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons